Another Amber 7up Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jb

It just dawned on me that your bottle may not be from San Diego. I just assumed from your opening remarks that it was from San Diego. But having reread your remarks, I see now where you merely indicated that the only slim-ambers of that type were from San Diego. And, yes, the only slim-ambers I'm aware of are from San Diego. Even though this changes things as to what bottler actually distributed that particular bottle, the following questions still remain ...

1. Who made it? The American Bottle Company, Owens-Illinois, or someone else?
2. When was the bottle made? Was it in 1929 or later?
3. When was the ACL label applied?
4. Which U.S. bottler used/distributed it?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I just spoke on the phone with two of the top soda bottle collectors in San Diego and neither one of them is familiar with the bottle in question. However, they suspect it is not from San Diego, but, like me, are not aware of any other bottler that used the slim-amber version. So it appears that what started out as a little mystery has now become a big mystery.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Update ...

I checked all of the usual places but cannot find a slim-version amber 7up bottle that isn't from San Diego. Every example I found was from San Diego and has the embossed u7p on the neck. So your guess is as good as mine as to who bottled the one in question. However, it could be from San Diego even though it isn't marked as such. ???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is from Cecil Munsey's collection, which he describes as a 1935 from San Diego. It's the best example of the slim 7 ounce bottle that I'm aware of ...

(Cecil did not include a picture of the base or back label, but part of it can be seen in this image)

7up Amber San Diego 1935 Best Example.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jb

Are you ready for this? Well, hold on to your hat because I'm seriously thinking there is a possibility that ...

1. The 29S6 mark on your bottle is for 1929 when the bottle was made

2. Your bottle was not 'repurposed' from old stock but was new when the ACL label was applied

3. The ACL label on your bottle was applied in 1929 when the bottle was made and not in 1935-36

I realize this defies almost everything we thought we knew about the ACL process and when 7up introduced their first ACL, but who among us can say with 100% certainty that the ACL process was not being experimented with in 1929? According to Cecil Munsey, the ACL process was actually being experimented with as early as 1920. As for 7up itself, most of us know that their trademark documents state its earliest use was August 7, 1928. So, again, who can say with 100% certainty that 7up did not produce some experimental prototype ACLs as early as 1929? The main reason I'm thinking this is because of the 29S6 mark and the distinct possibility it refers to 1929. As for repurposing old stock bottles, that's just a theory that needs more research to confirm or refute. Am I speculating about all of this? Yes, I am speculating. And yet, even with that said, I believe we have just enough to go on to warrant a closer look into this. It could very well lead to a dead-end, but then again, it might lead to ... ???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For starters, this is from a 1930 Owens-Illinois catalog ...

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1930 TWO PAGE ACL REFERENCE PP 2 and PP 3 (3).jpg

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1930 TWO PAGE ACL REFERENCE PP 2 and PP 3.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder from the American Bottle Company chart I posted earlier ...

Reminder: The Owens-Illinois Glass Company was established in 1929

American Bottle Company Marks (3).jpg

American Bottle Company Marks (4).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

When I first discovered the 1930 Owens-Illinois catalog a few years ago I was skeptical about the date so I contacted the source through an email and Barbara Floyd of the Canaday Center at the University of Toledo sent me a reply and confirmed the date for me as having definitely been published in 1930. Here's a picture of Barbara with the actual 1930 catalog. At the time I saved images of several pages from the catalog, one of which I posted earlier about the 1930 Applied Color Lettering bottles ...

Meet Barbara Floyd!

Owens Illinois Catalog 1930 Barbara Floyd.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Plus there's this for the 1930 catalog ...

Owens-Illinois FIRST CATALOG 1930 (572x700) (409x500).jpg

And this 1931 Owens-Illinois book/catalog that I personally own and still have ...

Owens Illinois 1931 Book (356x443).jpg

Owens Illinois 1931 Book Catalog.jpg

And this ...

That I need to confirm the date and source for because I'm not sure at the moment exactly where I got it other than what my title describes. I'll dig out the 1931 book later and see if it is in fact in that particular publication ...

Owens Illinois 1931 Book Catalog ACL  Reference.jpg

Last edited:

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Well now I'm even more excited about this new addition to my collection.
I look forward to seeing everything else you are able to dig up.

Also did you see the Amber slim standard bottle I own, posted on another forum topic? Which is not embossed on the neck. It has "The Howdy Company" on the label.
image.jpg

Speaking of Amber 7ups I came across this stubby on eBay. That has an embossed 7up underline on the base. Which matches your Tyler Bros bottle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262540115141

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu