Orange Crush Glass Plate for printing bottle caps 1947 Roanoke

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pmeade

Reaction score
I just purchased this piece at an antique shop in NC and was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this? My husband made a wooden box for the glass plate.

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 100

iggyworf

Reaction score
I have seen other brands like this but don't know too much about them. That's a very nice display he made. good job!

pmeade

Reaction score
Thank you. So am I right that it's a screen print for bottle caps?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Actually I think it is more likely to be a sample printing on glass to check what was being printed on the bottle caps. I don't see how it would be used to actually print the caps themselves. It would have to be more flexible to cover the caps to prevent overbleeding of the print and colors into one another. Still a very neat piece, and that display case is Killer!!........Andy

Eric

Reaction score
What that is is a glass plate used in making the screens... in your example it's for running the black ink, the last color to be drawn.
I don't remember all the technical terms but basically that plate would be placed in a frame and light shot through it onto the screen for screen printing,
what was exposed to the light would wash away allowing the black ink through the screens.
As you can read along the top you can see it was even labeled black .. for the color ink to be used.

Attached is a cap that used a screen close to your screen to show the final result... the cap would have had a white layer,
would have ran through a drying process then onto the next color orange layer again goes through a drying process then
the final and darkest color, in this case, black... Always worked from lightest color to darkest color.Orange Crush01.jpg
Great way to display this piece.

pmeade

Reaction score
What that is is a glass plate used in making the screens... in your example it's for running the black ink, the last color to be drawn.
I don't remember all the technical terms but basically that plate would be placed in a frame and light shot through it onto the screen for screen printing,
what was exposed to the light would wash away allowing the black ink through the screens.
As you can read along the top you can see it was even labeled black .. for the color ink to be used.

Attached is a cap that used a screen close to your screen to show the final result... the cap would have had a white layer,
would have ran through a drying process then onto the next color orange layer again goes through a drying process then
the final and darkest color, in this case, black... Always worked from lightest color to darkest color.View attachment 173560
Great way to display this piece.

Eric thanks for the information. Would this be a rare piece?

Eric

Reaction score
I would say yes it's rare.. but not necessarily super valuable... I don't know the market for something like this... You do see lots of uncut sheets of crowns (probably spot checks for flaws and registration) But the plates to make these screens probably done show up too much.. I would think the glass plates would either be stripped/cleaned for making new plate or thrown out. As with everything.. comes down to what someone is willing to pay... put it in an auction with the right 2 people you may have something of value.
It's a great piece for a Crush collector it being the older style (and having "Crushy") that's a plus. Amazing it survived.. You're lucky to have in your collection
not something everyone would have.. love stuff like this. congrats on finding it and again excellent way to display. If I had one of a brand I collect I wouldn't sell. Too cool to let go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94