Very Strange Set of Bottles Broad Flat Bottom Rounded Top???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

drkatherine

Reaction score
Ok so I did my due diligence before posting here....which included researching the company, description, and just about anything I could think of on Google but nothing comes up about this type of bottle. I know it is a chemical bottle....that they were used in making potash...and the company was in San Fransisco. They had a display at the Columbian Exhibition in 1893. But not a clue about these bottles. I could really use some friendly help here. Has anyone ever seen anything similar to them? Thanks IMG_1435.jpg

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Those are unique, and in a nitch of collectible bottle types, that many in the hobby would not recognize. I believe they were stored upside down , to prevent moisture accumulation. Is there a trademark embossed on the bottle with numbers? That would give us a glass maker and a possible date. I would put them in the poison bottle category , but they are not typical. I could not find them in my poison's book. Thanks.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Also from the German Kali Works, potash bottles that a not nearly as interesting looking are priced at $20. Good luck.
s-l1600.jpg

drkatherine

Reaction score
I could not find any marks on the glass. I do know that they came from the estate of a copper baron from Utah who among other things started mining phosphate. So there is the connection. I think they may have been used as part of a display at the Columbus Exposition which was part of the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. I found a description of their booth and what was being displayed was in these bottles. I was really hoping that someone might have seen one in the past. Thanks for your help.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I have seen similar bottles made by the Whitall Tatum glass works for chemical storage and drug store displays, they were a huge manufacturer of scientific glass and pharmacy bottles of all types. If you can research this company, I am sure you will find your bottles, or some very similar in looks.......Andy

drkatherine

Reaction score
I have seen similar bottles made by the Whitall Tatum glass works for chemical storage and drug store displays, they were a huge manufacturer of scientific glass and pharmacy bottles of all types. If you can research this company, I am sure you will find your bottles, or some very similar in looks.......Andy

Andy,
Thank you for the excellent info. I guess I will have to dig deeper. There are two listed on Ebay...but the description...really, this is what they say
ANTIQUE APOTHECARY DRUG GENERAL STORE SPECIMEN INVERTED SHOW GLOBE BOTTLE.

SNOW GLOBE????? You have got to be kidding...really....SNOW GLOBE?? You know...I would rather research something then ask knowledgable people....such as yourself instead of listing something that shows no useful info at all. I just about choked when I read the snow globe description.:confused:

botlguy

Reaction score
Andy,
Thank you for the excellent info. I guess I will have to dig deeper. There are two listed on Ebay...but the description...really, this is what they say
ANTIQUE APOTHECARY DRUG GENERAL STORE SPECIMEN INVERTED SHOW GLOBE BOTTLE.

SNOW GLOBE????? You have got to be kidding...really....SNOW GLOBE?? You know...I would rather research something then ask knowledgable people....such as yourself instead of listing something that shows no useful info at all. I just about choked when I read the snow globe description.:confused:
I believe you misread that, it's SHOW globe, not SNOW globe and I believe that is exactly what it is. Display piece.

drkatherine

Reaction score
I believe you misread that, it's SHOW globe, not SNOW globe and I believe that is exactly what it is. Display piece.

I have never been so glad to have made a mistake before...your correction led me to the info I was looking for. Thank you so much!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu