Something Fishy About This Milk

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Anchor%u00252Bbottle%u00252B016.JPG
Maybe because there is a fish!
Anchor%u00252Bbottle%u00252B013.JPG
It's a very beat-up Detroit, Michigan, milk, With an etched fish!
Anchor%u00252Bbottle%u00252B015.JPG
What makes this catch a good one is that the etching on it is, 98%, under the wear to the glass, thus telling me it is an old etching. It also have an etched m.
Anchor%u00252Bbottle%u00252B017.JPG
I could find nothing on what must be the glass maker, Empire M, but the base is typical for the 1910s.

RCO

Reaction score
do you think the fish was originally on the bottle when it was first used ? or added more recently for decorative purposes by someone for whatever reasons . either way I can't recall seeing a milk jug with a fish on it before

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Best guess is, it was added a long time ago (before it got tossed out), but it wasn't added by the company that made the bottle.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Well there's something I've never seen before! Hard to say if it's original, I'm not sure what use the dairy would have in etching fish into its bottles unless it was repurposed by anther dairy with a very unusual logo. It does look like it's been there for quite a while regardless, though. Where did you get it?

RCO

Reaction score
Best guess is, it was added a long time ago (before it got tossed out), but it wasn't added by the company that made the bottle.

I guess there doesn't seem to be any connection to fish or even lakes being the dairy is in Detroit , it wouldn't make sense for that dairy to use a fish in such a way . someone must of added it at some point

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Maybe some body repurposed it for a small fishbowl, or for fish bait, or storing fishing related items in it. Really is one of those things that make this such a fascinating hobby, trying to work out stuff like this...........Andy

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I really can't figure this one out. My first thought is that it's just someone who was learning how to etch things with acid playing around with the bottle, but because the fish extends onto the next it would have been difficult to do with a normal stencil. Detroit is on Lake St Clair so there would have been dairies located near the lake. Have you ever seen anything else from this dairy?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I don't usually pick up Detroit stuff (opposite side of state), so no. I just really liked the fish.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora