Hillside Dairy Huntsville Ont - Milk cap , jug ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
my parents found this at a yard sale on the weekend and gave it to me , its a small milk jug pint with an old cap in it , at first I didn't realise where the cap was from but after looking thru some papers I had on local dairies I realised it was from Huntsville Ontario .
there is a listing for a Hillside Dairy from 1951-63 , although I can't recall seeing a milk jug from them before , the cap is definity real but in fairly poor shape . its unclear if the jug is from them as well or if someone just put the cap in it .

" good morning " Hillside Dairy - pasturized homogenized homo milk - Herb Graham

P8010001.jpgP8010004.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Funny thing about milk caps is that the cap being in poor shape tends to actually be a good thing. The caps in perfect condition almost always came from full tubes of 100 new old stock caps, while the ones in poor condition came from a bottle that had sat around for ages and are much harder to find, unless a collector stuck one of the NOS caps into a bottle. I've only got a couple of the ones that came from bottles, they don't come up for sale anywhere near as often as the NOS caps.

RCO

Reaction score
I'm assuming this cap is fairly hard to find , online I couldn't find anything about it other than someone had a metal milk tag from this dairy , the Ontario dairy site didn't list anything from them but has items from other dairies in Huntsville. I don't know if an acl or embossed jug exists from this dairy or not , I've never seen one yet . maybe they used plain jugs and put caps on top .

for some reason around here there is endless Bancroft Dairy and Windermere dairy NOS caps for sale , you could buy a new Windermere cap for $1 at antique sale on weekend

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
They probably did use plain bottles, most dairies did it seems. Only the more successful ones could afford to put their name on their bottles. And those Bancroft Dairy caps show up all over the place all the way out here in Eastern Ontario too, they must have found a massive amount of them. We've got a few dairies that show up all the time too, Rivermead Dairy from Cornwall, Macdonald Dairy from Vankleek Hill, and Kemptville Dairy caps show up all the time. I'm still sometimes finding new caps from these dairies that I didn't know about and I've already got so many. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle from any of those dairies, funny enough, although I know that Kemptville Dairy bottles do exist.

RCO

Reaction score
there is an embossed jug for the windermere dairy , I have only seen one though and it was recently in an auction at a local thrift store , was some other bottles and milk jugs and some older corked bottles , nothing really stunning in the assortment I bid twice and eventually it got to $70 which seemed way too high , I dropped by today to see what it finally went for and was surprised it was at $120 for final winning bid . someone over paid to get that jug or they saw something else they wanted in the mix .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi