Canadian LYMAN druggist/pharmacy/medicine bottle ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
its a neat bottle but I don't think it will go for a lot on ebay , the seller is forgetting 1 Canadian dollar is only worth 77 cents American , its like the worst time to try and sell in American dollars on ebay to Canadians , cause the American dollar is worth so much more making purchases unaffordable , a Canadian buyer is going to have this in mind and won't let the bidding go up that high knowing they'll have to pay in American dollars .

hemihampton

Reaction score
I guess for now on when I dig bottles I don't post my finds or let anybody know what I've found if create's controversy. I got many beer cans I sell on ebay & I won't usually waste my time selling any on ebay if worth less then $10. If I knew this was a $10 bottle I would't waste my time selling on ebay. I got lots of common bottles I don't collect but keep myself & don't bother selling. LEON.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
So much for common regard for one another and building up a sharing community. What pisses me off, Leon, is that your post above can be read to insinuate that somebody on this forum, such as myself, who's interested in the bottle would try to take advantage of you. As you say, "I would if I felt confident I knew what it was worth but I have no clue, Some say rare, some say probably not so rare, some say $30 bottle some say $5-$10 bottle. I can't put a price on something I know nothing about & don't want to take a low ball price not knowing any better." I sincerely hope that wasn't an intentional shot at me, a potential lowballer in your mind. Regardless, so much for trust, Leon, and thanks for what I take as, at the very least, an indirect vote of non-confidence in me. Again, why should I bother sharing information?

I've collected and researched Canadian medicine and poison bottles for around 35 years now. I've got boxes of research notes, 100,000s of lines of info in Excel spreadsheets, and I've written a number of books relating to collecting Ontario bottles (google my full name, "Glen C. Phillips" and you'll see). I've freely shared important information with legions. I don't expect those people to be beholden to me, but it is nice to receive positive regard in return, ranging from a prompt and genuine thanks to a chance given to me make an offer on a bottle.

Imagine how I feel, when I give you valuable information and then you say thanks in passing and then emphasize how you're going to sell the bottle publicly. No doubt, you'll take the info I've given you and use it to pump up the authority of your Ebay description. I can't stop you from doing that, of course -- though I suggest you not use my own words, word for word -- but please don't seem mystified when I object to what I see as shabby treatment of me from you. Yet again, why should I bother sharing information?

Okay, I get that I'd have a chance at the bottle if listed on Ebay, but then I'd have to pay an extra $20-$25 for Ebay's Global Shipping and you'd lose on Ebay and PayPal fees. My guess is that it's a $10 to $20 bottle or maybe $35-$50 at best if you're lucky enough to get two anxious collectors with a bit more to spend. But I'm not telling you anything you surely don't know.

What you don't know relates to longer term effects. As you state, you don't know much about Canadian bottles. Given that you dig a great deal in Detroit and other wonderful parts of Michigan, it's reasonable to think that you'll find more interesting Canadian stuff at some point, on account of Michigan's and Ontario's shared border and all the historical movement of people back and forth across it. Wouldn't you really want to forge and maintain strong relationships with collectors who could give you important and valuable information when you need it in future?

Forest, trees. Short-term gain, long-term benefit. Getting something, but not giving back. The choices are yours.

As to choices, here's mine. I'm not so sure I'd even want the bottle now. It's got so much negative energy attached to it and I don't collect that.

I dont really know you or dealt with you before or know your reputation. I'm not trying to insult you or anybody in here & appreciate your information. Never sold anything in here to anybody that I can remember. I'm hesitant to sell because I had a bad experiance when I first came in this site like 8 years ago. LEON.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Well, you did insult me and then I'm doubly insulted because you can't even offer a direct apology after I initially point out that insult. It's not your posts, in and of themselves, which cause controversy. Rather, it's your one-way approach to matters in this thread which has stirred things up for me. I shared collecting and historical information with you and you return the favour with words of mistrust of me. That's hardly classy. That you can't directly apologize and even continue to indirectly question my ethics is even harder to take.

Interesting that you've not sold to anybody on this forum since your first year on here. Hmmm, and yet during the same time people have been feeding you plenty of information. I truly hope that you're not on this forum just to get and not give back. But if so, it's your choice to build such a one-way street that way, but I don't think it jives with the community spirit which nourishes this forum. That's a shame, really. You know how much joy it is to acquire a wonderful new bottle for yourself. That comes though in so, so many of your posts, and makes them fun to read. If you can't understand how others take the same joy in acquisition, then that's an even greater shame!

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a well known member in here found a cone top beer can. I told him all the info I knew about it & told him I was Interested in buying from him. He said make a offer. I offered $100 which I thought was Fair. He said NO, I think I'll just throw on ebay & try my luck their. Do you know what my reaction was? Did I get all hostile & pissed off & mad. NO, I said OK & Good Luck. I watched it on ebay & was going to snipe at last second but lost track of it & Time. So I missed out. Ends up it only got $70 something, much less then my offer. Such a different reaction to the same situation. Why is that? And I never got a offer from taggart or said I would sell. Only thing I said was MAYBE I'd throw on ebay.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a well known member in here found a cone top beer can. I told him all the info I knew about it & told him I was Interested in buying from him. He said make a offer. I offered $100 which I thought was Fair. He said NO, I think I'll just throw on ebay & try my luck their. Do you know what my reaction was? Did I get all hostile & pissed off & mad. NO, I said OK & Good Luck. I watched it on ebay & was going to snipe at last second but lost track of it & Time. So I missed out. Ends up it only got $70 something, much less then my offer. Such a different reaction to the same situation. Why is that? And I never got a offer from taggart or said I would sell. Only thing I said was MAYBE I'd throw on ebay.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in defending myself any further, since such is pointless given our distinctly different views of what's going on here in this thread and how we view other collectors. As to me not offering you anything, I never got the chance or, more accurately speaking, an invitation from you to make an offer upon my asking if collectors of Canadian medicines could have a shot at the bottle. And by that, I was opening up matters for potential negotiations. Perhaps you missed that posting? Anyhow, I was opening up negotiations not because the bottle's so valuable that I saw an opportunity to rip somebody off, but because it fits a certain part in the history of Canada's medicine industry. For me, one of the joys of collecting is the historical context of pieces, and this trumps the money game for me. As to that money game, I'm not very interested in paying more to Ebay's Global Shipping Program nonsense than the bottle's worth.

Anyhow, this has gone on long enough, so I'm done.

In closing, I think it's best that we just ignore each other. So much for community!

hemihampton

Reaction score
When I said low ball offer I did not specically mean you but anybody in here as that has happened in the past. I offer what ever info I know if I can & if you read my post you'd know that. Like a few months ago when a guy asked about his 1848 Cobalt Blue Knickerbocker bottle. If I remember right I was the only guy that gave him any good info & another guy offered to buy it for $200 & instead he threw on ebay for $500 opening bid & got it. I posted about another Canadian bottle I dug in here like 6 months ago. Got the impression it was a $10 bottle maybe & never threw on ebay because of that & decided to keep. All my bottlles have some sentimental value & if a bottle is only worth maybe $20 or $30 or less I rather keep it for sentimental value. If a Sentimental bottlle I dug but don't really collect has more value I may consider selling. The only reason I said I'd sell on ebay was after one guy said common $5-$10 bottle. That made me want to throw on ebay just to see if I could get more then $10 & prove him wrong. Anyways, if you felt like I was specifically insulting you I was not & if you think I was I'm sorry for Insulting you. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm not interested in defending myself any further, since such is pointless given our distinctly different views of what's going on here in this thread and how we view other collectors. As to me not offering you anything, I never got the chance or, more accurately speaking, an invitation from you to make an offer upon my asking if collectors of Canadian medicines could have a shot at the bottle. And by that, I was opening up matters for potential negotiations. Perhaps you missed that posting? Anyhow, I was opening up negotiations not because the bottle's so valuable that I saw an opportunity to rip somebody off, but because it fits a certain part in the history of Canada's medicine industry. For me, one of the joys of collecting is the historical context of pieces, and this trumps the money game for me. As to that money game, I'm not very interested in paying more to Ebay's Global Shipping Program nonsense than the bottle's worth.

Anyhow, this has gone on long enough, so I'm done.

In closing, I think it's best that we just ignore each other. So much for community!

OK, So what If I offer you the bottle for free, you can have it for your collection, I'd like to see it go to a good nice Canadian home. I really don't care about the money. I dig more for fun & helping others. And if you'd appreciate the bottle more then anybody else you can have it. Just pay for shipping & it's yours. Let me know? THANKS, LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Well Taggert was in here a couple of times after my last post to offer for free & he did not respond. I guess he's not Interested in it. I guess I'll keep the bottle. was not all that Interested in selling anyways. I just wanted to know if it was rare or common & value but nobody really seem to have a good answer for that. I tried to apologize & make things right.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Apology accepted, Leon. And my apologies for my heat towards you.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi