Canadian LYMAN druggist/pharmacy/medicine bottle ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
its a neat bottle and a good find , I haven't really seen one before or know anything more about it . I doubt it was sold just in Montreal , its was likely sold in other Canadian cities at that time , I do agree its likely a Canadian travel brought it to Michigan somehow

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Lyman, Sons & Co. (1879-1908) was one firm name in a chain of continuous businesses established by the Lyman family around 1800 (some sources put the founding in 1800, other in the late 1790s and yet others in 1808). Anyhow, the firm name Lyman, Sons & Co. reflects a re-organization of the business a year after the death of company mover and shaker Benjamin Lyman. The company was Canada's foremost wholesale drug firms. The Lymans also operated what was effective a branch of their Montreal business in Toronto. The only connection between Lyman, Sons & Co. and Toronto's Northrop & Lyman (patent medicines) was that both Lymans were very distant cousins through descent from an English settler in the American colonies in the 1600s. The two firms were only connected by an infinitesimal degree of shared genetic material.

As to the OP's bottle, it's a difficult one to find, but quite ironically because of the nature and size of the company. As Canada's largest wholesale druggists who seldom ventured into producing "directly for sale" preparations, the company wasn't much concerned with maintaining a public brand image; it didn't have to. Rather, Lymans focussed on maintaining reputation with the pharmaceutical and related trades by supplying chemicals, drugs, etc. for use in producing retail products. Embossed bottles were an unnecessary extra expense. This translates into lots and lots of paper-label-only bottles from Lymans, making embossed examples harder to find. My best guess is that the OP's bottle was for a one-off type of medicine or chemical compound that was intended for retail sale. I concur with an 1880s attribution. I also imagine that the bottle got to Michigan in the hands of a private individual travelling from Canada (likely Ontario) to that state, as American tariff barriers made it difficult for Lyman, Sons & Co. to export to the U.S.

Looks like they produced a fair amount of patent medicines in the early-mid 1880's, I'm surprised that I've never seen one of these before anywhere else if they were distributed nationally. They must not have focused too heavily on patent medicines.

As for value, I'm not sure but probably not all that much. I've never gotten around to going to the Montreal bottle show but I expect the Montreal bottle market is similar to the Ottawa one and their drug store bottles are in the 5-10 dollar range in dug condition. Since this is from a large company and not technically a real drug store bottle, that wouldn't help things value-wise. I think the bottles that say Montreal but were intended for a national market generally aren't regarded as highly by Montreal collectors as bottles actually intended for use in Montreal.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Maybe I'll throw on ebay & see what it gets. I don't collect Canadian bottles. LEON.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
If anybody knows about Canadian bottles it would be mctaggart67, thanks for the info, as I was not sure if it was the same co or not.......Andy

hemihampton

Reaction score
Close up of the pic I posted earlier. Double click pic to super size. LEON lymans_ltd_clipboard_1800-1950 (1) - Copy.jpg.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Just to clarify some of what I posted above. Lyman, Sons & Co.'s line of products intended for the retail market constituted a small percentage of the firm's overall business. Most of what I've seen in this vein is paper-label only. That's not to say that Lymans didn't make patent medicines and similar -- they did -- and the OP's bottle is almost certainly an example from this sort of product. I put OP's bottle in the ironic context of being a relatively rare example of its kind from a large company when we usually find such as really common (think Wyeth, for example).

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Andy, thanks for your kind words.

Leon, any chance of giving collectors of Canadian medicine bottles at this forum a shot at the bottle?

143Tallboy

Reaction score
Hey Glen - I have a Lyman Montreal embossed bottle. I knew they must be relatively scarce because I'd never seen one before. I'll have to dig it out and post a picture. I think it's got a crack but it only cost me $1 at a flea market a few years back.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp