Canadian LYMAN druggist/pharmacy/medicine bottle ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Andy, thanks for your kind words.

Leon, any chance of giving collectors of Canadian medicine bottles at this forum a shot at the bottle?

I would if I felt confident I knew what it was worth but I have no clue, Some say rare, some say probably not so rare, some say $30 bottle some say $5-$10 bottle. I can't put a price on something I know nothing about & don't want to take a low ball price not knowing any better. LEON.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Oh well, not so sure why I bother sometimes sharing what I know to help out others.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Glen,

I always appreciate your insight on this site! I've still got the cobalt Robinson and if I decide to sell it you'll be the first to know!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hemihampton, Try posting it on here for a few days as a give me your best offer format, and what can you lose?? no fees, or costs, and if you feel the offers are not enough, then sell it on flea-bay

hemihampton

Reaction score
That would just piss people off even more, to offer in here & then list on ebay. When someone has no clue what something is worth let ebay tell you what it's worth? What's wrong with that. It might get $10 or $200, I have no idea. I know nothing about Canadian bottles. LEON.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
So much for common regard for one another and building up a sharing community. What pisses me off, Leon, is that your post above can be read to insinuate that somebody on this forum, such as myself, who's interested in the bottle would try to take advantage of you. As you say, "I would if I felt confident I knew what it was worth but I have no clue, Some say rare, some say probably not so rare, some say $30 bottle some say $5-$10 bottle. I can't put a price on something I know nothing about & don't want to take a low ball price not knowing any better." I sincerely hope that wasn't an intentional shot at me, a potential lowballer in your mind. Regardless, so much for trust, Leon, and thanks for what I take as, at the very least, an indirect vote of non-confidence in me. Again, why should I bother sharing information?

I've collected and researched Canadian medicine and poison bottles for around 35 years now. I've got boxes of research notes, 100,000s of lines of info in Excel spreadsheets, and I've written a number of books relating to collecting Ontario bottles (google my full name, "Glen C. Phillips" and you'll see). I've freely shared important information with legions. I don't expect those people to be beholden to me, but it is nice to receive positive regard in return, ranging from a prompt and genuine thanks to a chance given to me make an offer on a bottle.

Imagine how I feel, when I give you valuable information and then you say thanks in passing and then emphasize how you're going to sell the bottle publicly. No doubt, you'll take the info I've given you and use it to pump up the authority of your Ebay description. I can't stop you from doing that, of course -- though I suggest you not use my own words, word for word -- but please don't seem mystified when I object to what I see as shabby treatment of me from you. Yet again, why should I bother sharing information?

Okay, I get that I'd have a chance at the bottle if listed on Ebay, but then I'd have to pay an extra $20-$25 for Ebay's Global Shipping and you'd lose on Ebay and PayPal fees. My guess is that it's a $10 to $20 bottle or maybe $35-$50 at best if you're lucky enough to get two anxious collectors with a bit more to spend. But I'm not telling you anything you surely don't know.

What you don't know relates to longer term effects. As you state, you don't know much about Canadian bottles. Given that you dig a great deal in Detroit and other wonderful parts of Michigan, it's reasonable to think that you'll find more interesting Canadian stuff at some point, on account of Michigan's and Ontario's shared border and all the historical movement of people back and forth across it. Wouldn't you really want to forge and maintain strong relationships with collectors who could give you important and valuable information when you need it in future?

Forest, trees. Short-term gain, long-term benefit. Getting something, but not giving back. The choices are yours.

As to choices, here's mine. I'm not so sure I'd even want the bottle now. It's got so much negative energy attached to it and I don't collect that.

Last edited:

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Thanks, Brandon, on both counts. Makes being here worthwhile, again on both counts!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi