7up 8 bubble 1942!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Your bottle confirms that 8 bubble bottles were made as late as 1942 - but do you have a confirmed date for the earliest 7 bubble bottle? According to Bill Lockhart's chart it was in 1938.

This is the best picture of an all-white label I can find. Notice it has 8 bubbles and is from Washington, D.C. I do not know the exact date for this particular bottle - but perhaps the slogan on the back will help narrow it down ...

Reminder: Some of the so called all-white labels have 'ghost' remnants of the red paint. This example doesn't appear to have that feature.

7up Bottle White Front and Back.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Read what this seller has to say about what he describes as a 1943 7up bottle. Because it sounds like he knows what he's talking about, I'm going to see if I can find another one like it from Yreka, California.

Unfortunately, the only picture of the bottle is the one attached below. But notice it has 7 bubbles and the red paint is fully intact. If this bottle is indeed from 1943, and there was supposed to be a restriction on red pigment during WWII as Bill Lockhart and others claim, then why does this apparent 1943 bottle have the red paint? 1943 was smack-dab in the middle of WWII and if there was a paint restriction at the time, I'm thinking this bottle should be all white and not have the red background ...

But then again, maybe its not a 1943 bottle. ???

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1943-7up-bubble-stir-shake-bottle-109663659

[FONT=&amp]
1943 7UP 7-BUBBLE "DO NOT STIR OR SHAKE" YREKA, CALIF

Please study the photographs carefully. I provide several super-sized photos of my bottles in every auction, so people can get a good look at what I am offering. I do not purchase bottles on eBay based on one tiny, out-of-focus photo, and I don't expect you to, either. I take photos in natural light whenever possible. It's raining today, so I took these photos indoors. Sellers use the word "rare" so often on eBay that it has virtually lost its meaning, but 7UP collectors should recognize this bottle as a real oddity. It is a 7 fluid ounce 7up "seven-bubble" bottle with a rear legend normally found on "eight-bubble" labels. Base markings indicate this beauty was manufactured in 1943 by the Owens-Illinois Glass Company at its plant in Los Angeles.What makes this bottle special is that it carries the rear legend "A Fresh Up Drink" with the rhyming couplet "For the Stomach's Sake, Do Not Stir or Shake." By 1943, that legend had largely been replaced by the "The Fresh Up Drink" legend, which lists the ingredients. One of the photos depicts the difference between the two. This is proof that in 7UP's early days, bottle labels were not yet standardized nationwide. This 1943 "seven-bubble" bottle should list the ingredients, but does not. Bottles with the ingredients
[FONT=&amp]listed can be found dated as early as 1939.This bottle was once the property of Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Yreka, California, which in itself is another unique feature of this bottle. By 1943, 7UP was well on its way to becoming a nationwide drink, but in areas w t were no 7UP bottlers yet, it was distributed by Coca-Cola bottlers.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]7up Bottle Yreka, Ca Described as 1943.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I found this which looks like it might be the same or similar bottle as the one I just posted from Yreka, California. However, the seller of the Yreka bottle did not say if his bottle had an embossed neck or an acl neck, so I'm not sure if this one is identical or just similar. This bottle obviously has the embossed neck. There was no date mentioned with this picture so I do not know when this particular bottle was made, nor if it has 8 bubbles or 7 bubbles. But its a start and hopefully I or someone else will eventually find a picture of the base for one of these bottles.

7up Bottle Yreka, Ca Back.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hold the phone!

I just this minute finished scrolling through my photo file that contains 600+ 7up related images and found this that I somehow missed seeing earlier and forgot I even had.

Joyce Products ~ 3 <(I)> 3. ~ Owens-Illinois ~ Plant #3 Fairmont, West Virgina ~ 1943

Notice ...

1. Seven Bubbles
2. ACL Neck
3. Red Paint
4. Duraglas

7up Joyce Products eBay 2016 Front 1943.jpg

7up Joyce Products eBay 2016 Base 1943.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, Rick / iggy

How's about posting some Front/Back/Base pictures of your 1941 bottle. I'll use it to create a timeline of the 1941 through 1945 (WWII era) bottles to see them all in one place. I'll have to double check and make sure I have a picture of a 1945 bottle, but if I don't I should be able to find one, or else you can post a 1945 if you have one.

Thanks

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
Check out this 7up bottle that's currently on eBay and the seller claims is WWII era. But look close and you'll see that it has what I described earlier as a 'Ghost' image of the red background. The seller probably thinks the predominately white label automatically makes it a WWII bottle because of something he read somewhere. He doesn't mention that its a Glenshaw bottle and is probably not aware of the lip codes. I might send him an inquiry to ask about the lip code just to try and determine when it was made.

Here's the link ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361700223675?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true

Here's part of his description and his pictures ...

Up for sale is a Vintage World War 2 White Label Lady 7 UP Bottle 7 Oz. Rare Green Soda Pop Bottle. The white label was only used during World War 2 as the red was needed for the war effort.

7up Bottle White with Ghost image eBay Aug 2016.jpg

7up Bottle White with Ghost image eBay Aug 2016 Back.jpg

7up Bottle White with Ghost image eBay Aug 2016 Base.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I asked the seller about the Glenshaw lip-letter-code and will let you know what he finds when I hear back from him.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I monkeyed around with the seller's pictures and found what appears to be either a number 1 or the letter l (L) on the lip. But I'll wait until I hear from him before making any definite determination.

Back

7up Bottle White with Ghost image eBay Aug 2016 Back.jpg

Front - But not sure if its a mark or just light

7up Bottle White with Ghost image eBay Aug 2016.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18