Brooklands Dairy - Milford Bay Ontario milk jugs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
just found this mini quart when swimming the other day , wasn't sure where it was from but found out online its from a dairy called " Brooklands dairy " in Milford Bay Ontario in muskoka area . haven't really seen it before but knew milford bay had a dairy . does anyone know anything more about this dairy ? how hard are there jugs to find ?

P8260001.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
found some pictures online of some other jugs from Brooklands dairy , a full size jug with full embossing , can see it says " brooklands dairy' but also has R D Ridley and son , Milford Bay .

is also 2 acl versions of this jugs I found pictures of as well , can't recall seeing any of this bottles before even though its local

brooklandsdairy.jpgbrooklandsdairy1.jpgbrooklandsdairy2.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are some nice looking bottles, shame it wasn't whole. Looks like some early ones, I'd be surprised if those date later than the 1940's.

RCO

Reaction score
Those are some nice looking bottles, shame it wasn't whole. Looks like some early ones, I'd be surprised if those date later than the 1940's.

I'm not sure how late this dairy operated , the embossed bottles do look fairly old , at least the style of the writing and such . its really too bad its broken , it would of made for a great souvenir of Milford Bay .

not sure how old the acl bottles are , don't recall ever seeing one of them for sale locally here even though its a local dairy , they can't be too common , you see some of the other local dairies fairly regularly yet this one doesn't seem to be available

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow, Milford Bay is a really tiny place, you don't often see bottles marked from places that small. I figure they must have distributed into other areas. I don't have any milk bottles from towns anywhere near that small, the smallest town that I've got a milk bottle from is Cornwall!

I didn't notice that one of the ACL bottles pictured a woman water skiing, do you know when water skiing became popular in the Muskoka region? I'm thinking because of that that they may be later than the 1940's after all.

RCO

Reaction score
Wow, Milford Bay is a really tiny place, you don't often see bottles marked from places that small. I figure they must have distributed into other areas. I don't have any milk bottles from towns anywhere near that small, the smallest town that I've got a milk bottle from is Cornwall!

I didn't notice that one of the ACL bottles pictured a woman water skiing, do you know when water skiing became popular in the Muskoka region? I'm thinking because of that that they may be later than the 1940's after all.

I've seen an acl milk jug from Hawkesbury Ontario which is near Ottawa , can't remember the name of dairy but an antique store nearby had it , they didn't want very much for it either

Milford Bay is very small but summer population is much bigger , its likely that's when this dairy was doing most of its business , there would also have been hotels nearby ( is several now disappeared hotels in that part of lake muskoka ) and summer camps to supply .

I'm not sure when water skiing became popular here ( lake muskoka is a pretty trendy place so whenever it became popular elsewhere it would of appeared there ) , I'd have to say by 50's would of been people doing that on lake muskoka maybe a bit earlier so those jugs might be 50's era ?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh I wish I could have gotten that Hawkesbury one, I don't have any ACL milks from Eastern Ontario and some of the Hawkesbury milks are pretty valuable. It wasn't this one by any chance was it? http://www.ecbw.ca/ontario_dairies/hawkesbury/images/long_sault_dairy_03.jpg If I remember correctly that one comes with a very hefty price tag. Although I'm noticing now that it doesn't seem to say Hawkesbury on it so it probably wasn't that one.

According to Wikipedia water skiing has been going on for quite a while before the 50's, so I guess that doesn't help to date it that well.

RCO

Reaction score
Oh I wish I could have gotten that Hawkesbury one, I don't have any ACL milks from Eastern Ontario and some of the Hawkesbury milks are pretty valuable. It wasn't this one by any chance was it? http://www.ecbw.ca/ontario_dairies/hawkesbury/images/long_sault_dairy_03.jpg If I remember correctly that one comes with a very hefty price tag. Although I'm noticing now that it doesn't seem to say Hawkesbury on it so it probably wasn't that one.

According to Wikipedia water skiing has been going on for quite a while before the 50's, so I guess that doesn't help to date it that well.

it wasn't the one you posted , its actually a small milk jug not that big either . think it had some green paint on it and it fairly good condition , is a good chance its still there . i'll have to go look

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh that's interesting, there aren't any green ones on the ECBW website. Wish I could find some ACL milks in antique stores around here. There was a very interesting one from Ottawa that I've never seen anywhere else that I saw in Montreal, but it had lost all of its paint and it was one of those trendy fashionable antique stores so of course they wanted way too much for it.

RCO

Reaction score
I looked up the milford bay dairy when I was at the library today , book seems to think its from 50's-60's is when it started or first listed

however the farm is still around today and according to its "history " on its website they did dairy operations as early is 1918 and got more serious into the dairy business in late 30's , so seems they were around before the 50's
http://www.brooklandsfarm.ca/history.html

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi