HIRES ROOT BEER ~ vs ~ VERNOR'S GINGER ALE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I don't think he ever advertised his product as root tea in 1875. I'd like to see that Advertising if it exist but I doubt it. Just a hunch. He originally sold it in his pharmacy in 1875 like Vernor's did. LEON.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Because I really, really want to give away a free ACL Book, I'm adding this to the list ...

5. An advertisement, article, etc; published in 1875 for ​Hires Root Tea

I'm with Leon on this one...none existent, besides you'd be looking for 'Hires Herbal Tea' ... if the book is true and correct, where did the author find this information?...Hires diary?

By Tristan Donovan

ScreenClip (4).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I agree, the odds of finding a "Root Tea" reference from 1875 are probably pretty slim. According to many of the historical accounts, Charles Hires was first exposed to a form of root tea while on his honeymoon with his first wife, Clara Kate Smith. Apparently they were at a restaurant where Charles first tasted it and the lady who made the tea took Charles into the woods to show him where she had gathered the various ingredients. Charles was 24 years old at the time and already involved with the drug business. So, what I'm hoping to find is any type of published record from 1875 that uses the words "Root Tea" in connection with Charles Hires. All I have to go on at the moment is that Charles and Clara were married on ...

January 5, 1875

... and assuming their honeymoon was also in January of 1875.

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Based on tidbits of information I have been seeing, it appears the reason Charles Hires used the word "Improved" for his first root beer is because it was an improved version of his root tea.

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

But what's really spurring me on is the use of the word "successful" in the February 5, 1876 newspaper article I posted about the Centennial Exposition. If Charles was already "successful" before he introduced his root beer at the Exposition, then there should be something from 1875 to support that statement. At least, I'm hoping there is. And to be more specific, the actual wording in the 1876 article was ...

"successful manufacturer of root beer in Philadelphia."

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
For Future Reference ...

1851-Charles Elmer Hires born.

1863-Charles E. Hires works as a drugstore boy at a pharmacy in his home town. He's paid $12 per week.

1867-1869-Charles Hires attends night classes at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science.

1870-Charles works as a Pharmacist’s Apprentice in Philadelphia. Using $400 he saved while working he opens his own pharmacy while living on the premises. He packages and begins selling the mix,Hires Herb Tea, at his pharmacy.

1875-Charles Hires marries Clara Kate Smith. They spend their honeymoon on a New Jersey farm. (some believe it was while he was on his honeymoon that he first tasted "root tea." The tea was a blend of sixteen wild roots and berries similar to a beverage consumed by Native Americans for many years prior. Charles persuaded his hostess to part with the recipe.

1876-After several years of development, Charles E. Hires begins marketing kits for home brewers, stating that his recipe is the “Greatest Health-Giving Beverage in the World.” Hires Root Beer Extract is introduced at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition, which took place between May 10, 1876, and Nov. 10, 1876. (A package of Hires extract sold for 25 cents, and it made five gallons of root beer; a wholesome temperance drink)

In the years following the Exposition, Hires continued to market his drink to the temperance crowd, and he also developed a liquid extract or syrup for use in soda shops. He began to ship root beer in kegs, and he even patented a dispenser called the "Hires Automatic Munimaker" that he sold to the soda fountains that were popping up everywhere.

1879-
The Hires Root Beer Company loses the patent for the name “Root Beer.”

1888-Charles E. Hires markets a preparation in liquid form for making root beer. This preparation was called "Hires Improved Root Beer." One package was sufficient to make five gallons of beer. Subsequently the name of this package in liquid form was changed to "Hires Household Extract."

1893-Hires offers convenient pre-mixed carbonated bottles of root beer for the first time. They are supplied by The Crystal Bottling Company and distributing to local retailers. The demand for the drink skyrockets (the recipe supposedly consisted of sugar or honey with such ingredients as sarsaparilla, sassafras, licorice extracts, vanilla and wintergreen)

Hires Root Beer quickly became a sensation. By the early 1900s, many homes in America had Hires Root Beer Kits, which allowed families to brew their own root beer by mixing dry extract with water, sugar and yeast at a cost of five cents per gallon. Despite the success of the home kits, Hires decided that he could sell more root beer if people didn't have to brew it. He later developed liquid concentrate and soda fountain syrup, as well as bottled root beer.

1893-August 19, 1893 the first National Black Cow Day!! (now what would a Black Cow be without Root Beer?)

1904-Hires markets, sells, and advertises a fountain syrup for making root beer. He spent $100,000 a year in advertising the syrup. Annual sales reach more than $500,000.

1906-June 26, 1906-The word "Hires" is registered as a trademark.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Its possible the reference I'm looking for is not "Hires Root Tea" but ...

"Hires Herb Tea" or just "Herb Tea"

SODABOB

Reaction score
Because I really, really want to give away a free ACL Book, I'm adding this to the list ...

5. An advertisement, article, etc; published in 1875 for ​Hires Root Tea

Here's another chance to receive a Free ACL Book ...

Notice in this article I posted earlier where it says ...

"a lot of ground directly opposite the main building just outside the Park"

Hires 1876 Reading Times Oenn. Feb 5, 1876.jpg

I have just started my search for photographs and/or stereographs that show the outside of the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition. Its possible one of them shows the Hires root beer fountain/stand/building. Its doubtful but possible that it might also be depicted in some of the old maps of the Exposition. But regardless if its a photo or a map, the first person who post what is definitely a picture of the Hires exhibit will receive a free ACL Book.

Here's a sampling of what I have found so far ...

This first one shows (in red) what is described as the "Main Building"

Hires 1876 Exposition Main Building.jpg

This next one shows some buildings outside of the park. But I'm not sure if the large structure behind the buildings is considered part of the main building.

Hires 1876 Centennial Exposition Catalog Stereo Card.jpg

Footnote:

All I can tell you about this new search at the moment is ...

1. I just started my search.
2. There are lots of maps and photos to be found.
3. It could be an easy find for someone.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

The newspaper article described the fountain as being ...

"eighteen feet long and fifteen feet high"

​... but I'm thinking it was in some type of building. ???

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi