HIRES ROOT BEER ~ vs ~ VERNOR'S GINGER ALE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've dug up a few old Hires extract bottles in the past. Common as far as I know, was just cleaning up back porch & found a Hires extract that's been laying around in garbage & debris pile on back porch for past 3-4 years. LEON.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Cc

I mailed your book today. The postage to Canada was three times the usual amount, but I'm okay with that. What surprised me the most was the four customs forms I had to complete. I never mailed anything to Canada before and it was an interesting experience. I don't know how long it will take but suspect about ten days. Please let us know when it arrives.

I'm still researching Samuel Warwick and hope to find out more about him soon. The earliest reference I've seen for him and his root beer so far is 1873. We may never know if he's the one referred to in the newspaper article, but it appears he certainly could have afforded it. As for Charles Hires, everything I've read about him seems to indicate he probably needed some financial help in order pull-off whatever his role might have been at the 1876 Centennial. The weirdest part is, I still can't find a proof-positive reference that he was even at the Centennial. I find it hard to believe if he was there that he didn't advertise it early on.

Excellent Bob, thanks very much....that's why I gave you the heads up before you committed to sending, yes about 10 days but sometimes it can zip through in 3 days! I now find it so convenient to fill out customs online and print it at home..then I just bring it to the post office and they scan the bar code and print the label, then I just sign away! Looking forward to receiving the book!

You almost need a diary from back in the day...a first hand account of someone's visit to the 1876 Centennial fair that claims they tried Hires rb when they were there!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

No problemo - Enjoy the book

I thought this was interesting ...

Hires Warwick Extract Reading, Pa 1890.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
In search of ...

Star Wars Only Hope (4).jpg

[FONT=&amp]The editor of the Public Ledger, George W. Childs, liked the drink so much, he gave Hires free advertisement in his newspaper.

[/FONT]

SODABOB

Reaction score
I recently subscribed to a newspaper archives that included listings for the Philadelphia Public Ledger but discovered right away it was a mistake. I knew in advance the Public Ledger listings only ranged between 1836 and 1876 and I was hopeful of finding something about Hires Root Beer and the 1876 Centennial, but unfortunately there was nothing helpful. As it turns out, there doesn't appear to be an archives for the Public Ledger from 1877 on other than at Philadelphia libraries and a few Pennsylvania universities. One of the universities that has the archives Online is for students only and not accessible to private citizens.

If someone who reads this lives in Philadelphia and would like to help out, please visit one of the libraries and see if they have anything in their Public Ledger archives about Hires Root Beer. The archives I normally use has lots of listings for the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Times, but I've already posted everything of interest I can find in those publications.

The editor of the Public Ledger in 1876 and 1877 was George W. Childs. It was Childs who probably helped Charles Hires get his start more than anyone else. George Childs was the one who allowed Charles Hires to advertise free until Hires had enough money to pay him back.

(To be continued - But only for a short time because I'm almost out of resources to research)

Canadacan

Reaction score
Bob just wanted to say thanks again for the book, it really is wonderful and I cant wait to go through all of it, I did notice a mention of Paul Beverages from BC!...never expected to see that! I also like having the glass maker marks section at one's finger tips, excellent book:D

Cheers,

Ivan

SODABOB

Reaction score
I've been away from my desk for a few weeks and devoting the majority of my time to oil painting. Its difficult to do computer research and oil painting at the same time and boils down to doing one or the other but not both. Even though I'm in the middle of an oak tree painting, I decided to take a break and conclude this discussion if possible. The attached newspaper article is Charles Hires obituary from the Philadelphia Inquirer dated August 1, 1937. Notice it mentions a variety of events, including the episode about Charles Hires involvement with potter's clay, but there's not one word about Hires Root Beer being introduced at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial. This is in stark contrast to most of the Hires' histories that almost always start out with some mention of the 1876 Centennial.

I do not doubt that Hires Root Beer was first developed in Philadelphia in 1876 and possibly experimented with as early as 1875, but I still call into question the part that claims it was first introduced at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial. As it stands now I cannot find a single shred of credible evidence to support those claims despite what the histories say. Of course, if and when something presents itself to verify the 1876 Centennial connection, I will stand humbly corrected. In the meantime I stand firm on my suspicion that the 1876 Centennial connection is nothing more than a myth.

The Philadelphia Inquirer ~ Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ~ August 1, 1937

Note: If Charles Hires had anything to do with the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial, I honestly believe there would have been some mention of it in his obituaries. I have read at least thirty obituaries for Charles Hires that made the headlines nationwide in 1937, but not a single one of them mentions anything about the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial.

Hires Obituary Philadelphia Inquirer Aug 1, 1937 (1).jpg

Hires Obituary Philadelphia Inquirer Aug 1, 1937 (3).jpg

Hires Obituary Philadelphia Inquirer Aug 1, 1937 (4).jpg

Hires Obituary Philadelphia Inquirer Aug 1, 1937 (5).jpg

Hires Obituary Philadelphia Inquirer Aug 1, 1937 (6).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

To be continued eventually with a brief timeline of events for both James Vernor as well as Charles Hires ...

SODABOB

Reaction score
I recently purchased one of these Philadelphia Centennial CDs on eBay for a total of $18.48. Notice by scrolling to the bottom where it says Hires Root Beer was one of the products introduced at the Centennial. But whether that reference is actually published in one of the catalogs contained in the CD or just part of the seller's description, I do not know yet. I will post what it contains after it arrives in about a week ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1876-Centen...346951?hash=item2ebb44d8c7:g:pP4AAOSwFdtXztPk

Hires Philadelphia Centennial CD eBay December 2016 $18.48.jpg

In the meantime, here's a Charles Hires vanilla bean business card that's on eBay for $60.00. Exact date unknown but described as circa 1870s. (I do not intend to purchase it).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scare-Busin...586633?hash=item56679dddc9:g:CQwAAOSwFL9Tvasg

Hires Vanilla Bean Business Card.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac