Help with dating this bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brian Tovin

Reaction score
I recently got into bottle collecting by diving in some of the rivers down south (where I have dove for years for fossils), where steamship landings were. I found this bottle which is clearly free/hand blown. However, I am a novice and want to see if anyone can date it. From the research I have done, it looks like it could be 1700s. bottle.jpgIMG_2670.jpgIMG_2700.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I think your French Bordeaux wine bottle dates to the mid-1800s. The cleaner the lip string, the later the bottle.

That is a prodigious kick-up on your bottle. Just for fun, how many ounces of water does the bottle hold? If it's less than the standard 26 ounces, it may have been a "cheat" bottle which contained less wine than apparent.

edit: I'm not certain now that the bottle is not a half-bottle. If so, divide the nominal 26 oz. by two.

winekickups.jpgwinesealedtrio.jpgwine_bordeaux_lip.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Tovin

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Here is another that I found on the same trip and this is more true "black glass" with and applied top, but I think its not as old as the first one... because the area where the punty rod was put in the pontil mark (not sure if I am using the right terminology) is not as deep.IMG_2702.jpgIMG_2703.jpgIMG_2704.jpg

Brian Tovin

Reaction score
This final bottle I found is probably the least oldest (I am guessing late 1800s) because it is not as dark, the pontil is not as deep, and it is a different shape. By the way, all are free blown as none have mold seams. Thoughts?IMG_2705.jpgIMG_2706.jpgIMG_2707-1.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
The first one you posted is the oldest by a long shot with the crude string lip and sheared top-likely 1850's-1870's. The other two look to date around the same time and are classic 1890's-1920's era wines. The coloration won't tell you much about the age, but the way the lip is constructed on these will.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
This final bottle I found is probably the least oldest (I am guessing late 1800s) because it is not as dark, the pontil is not as deep, and it is a different shape. By the way, all are free blown as none have mold seams. Thoughts?

As NHPHM points out, color is a poor indicator of age.
Most of these later wine bottles do not have a pontil scar, were never empontilled. The kick-up was produced by a tool called a "mollette." Furthermore, these bottles were mold-blown, then turned in the mold to obliterate the mold seams . . . look for horizontal striations in the glass.
Ivor Noel Hume's books are great (I have three); however, he is describing colonial artifacts which are much earlier than your wine bottles. Better is Van den Bossche's book, though it is expensive (I have a brand- new copy available -- PM me after you check the prices on Amazon).
French wine bottles can be difficult because the state of the art was sophisticated and the bottle forms are traditional.

4wineshapesB.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora