PDA

View Full Version : bad situation on e-bay

arthur
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
This is the 1st time on e-bay with a bad experience. I paid for an item by paypal as soon as the auction was over item was never sent he took the paypal never contacted me. I sent many e-mails to him no response went to paypal they said he said he will refund the money to me, to them, still no contact to me and I have no refund yet. The seller was the SEEDBOXCOLLECTOR I was given a name and address by paypal maybe I should put that out there to. Why do people do that????

GuntherHess
06-27-2008, 05:00 PM
does the seller deal in bottles?

arthur
06-27-2008, 05:34 PM
He has had some bottles on but I bid on 275 soda labels.

RICKJJ59W
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
why do they do that? because some people are just plain jerks.I had a run in similar to yours.I got my money but went through a lot of chit to get it.

cc6pack
06-27-2008, 07:52 PM
arthur

you have 45 days to file with PP from your payment date, file item not received if he dosen't respond or give PP a DC you win. Then again PS'ers get special treatment.

almost forgot do not agree to drop any of the process until you get your labels or money back. you do know that you can leave a negative and he cannot and all he can do is leave a positive.

arthur
06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
thanks I left a negative he just now contacted me through fleabay and said pp will be refunded ?? I'll check on Monday. It just puts a bad taste in your mouth. Its bad enough when you bid and winn and then see the delivery cost added on. I would rather deal with individuals on the forum. I make stupid mistakes and just recently did with rick but I don't try to cheat someone. Life's to short.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/9543/D83A2D49D82A42498AF5665908E42909.gif

cc6pack
06-28-2008, 12:31 PM
arthur

contact ebay about the false positive, he's not supposed to did dat.

by PP rules he has to ship your item within 7 days from payment, I checked some of his F/B and he is slow to ship, and does not answer emails. don't wait on him to refund file NOW. another piece of advice F/B is the last thing you do in a transaction. you have 90 days to leave F/B. go back and leave it for the folks you have bought from in the past it's the polite thing to do.

tigue710
07-02-2008, 06:54 PM
e-bay sucks......... I've bought sold and sold many many bottles on e-bay even achieving power seller status. All I got was nothing but head aches... if a buyer was not trying to rip me off then it was a seller and if neither of those then e-bay was trying to rip off. To top it off nobody on ebay wants to pay what a bottle is worth, if you put a reserve no one will bid, if you don't put a reserve you sell the bottle for 50% of what it is worth... its all dealers on there anyway trying to make money on some sap who doesn't know what hes got...

if your selling mostly common your all right, especial if you have some sap story, but if you have a lot of good high dollar bottles take them to the auction house, you'll loose out on half of em on e-bay...

if your buying check feedback! and dont risk what looks like a good deal from a bad seller... always pay with pay pal so you have a course of action to follow up with and try to buy from ebayers who are also collectors... you'd be surprised how many non collectors honestly feel that a chip or crack is not worth mentioning...

one more thing, the sellers are most of the time doing it on the side... packing and shipping bottles is a lot of work, so give em break!

baltbottles
07-04-2008, 08:49 PM
As a seller my opinion the best way to avoid buyers trying to rip you off is to take paypal out of the deal. Just accept Checks and Money Orders mailed to you. If the buyer is unhappy they have to deal with you directly and not run to paypal.

I think two thrids of bad ebay transactions could be resolved by better communcation between the buyer and the seller. However ebay has tried to limit this so no outside ebay deals can be made. I liked it better the old way when both buyer and seller had to contact each other through email and ebay was just a venue to sell on.

I have always offered an unconditional return on all my auctions. And of almost 1000 things sold I've had 2 returned and in both cases the bidder paid many times what the bottle was worth. Then complained about very minor things like wear or a small pontil flake. Nothing that actually hurt the value of the bottle.

When it comes to buying I always ask any buyer I have never delt with before questions and in many cases will get ther phone number and call them and ask about the item. I feel much better dealing with someone after I have talked to them either by phone or through email.

Chris

glass man
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
tique,It is not only people on ebay that don't want to pay what a bottle is worth ,it can also be at bottle shows! I hav actually had a mint 1915 coke at $5 ,but the person wanted it for $3 and I sold it to him as I found it on top of the woods ! It really drives me nuts when I have a $5 bottle for sale for 50 cents and the PERSON WANTS TO KNOW WILL I TAKE 25 CENTS!HA! EVERYONE WANTS TO GET A GREAT DEAL AND THEN GET TO TELL THEIR FRINDS OR WHOEVER "THE PERSON WANTED THIS FOR THIS BOTTLE ,BUT I GOT HIM DOWN TO THIS!!I LOVE A GREAT DEAL MYSELF! IT IS COOL TO FIND A LETTER I GOT FOR $5 AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE A LETTER FROM "NEAR NEW HOPE CHURCH GA" AND IT WAS FROM GEN.LEONARDUS POLK[MISPELLED] AND HE DIED ONLY A FEW DAYS AFTER THIS LETTER WAS WRITTEN!I GOT $ 250 FOR IT AND WAS HAPPY !I WAS ONLY TOLD THE LETTER WAS FROM SOME PREACHER . I LEARNED THE REST ON MY OWN!I HAVE ALSO GIVEN A PERSON MORE THAN THEY ASKED FOR A BOTTLE ,BECAUSE I KNEW IT WAS WORTH MUCH MORE! I FORGET MY POINT AS I HAVE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT!TRY TO BE FAIR I THINK IS THE MORAL TO A VERY BORING STORY!

Wilkie
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Off the point of the original topic, however, I disagree with some of you in that things often sell for more than they are worth on eBay. There is a certain amount of competiveness that causes people to bid more (sometimes) then if they were to buy the same item at a bottle show. Another thing, some are griping that people don't want to pay what an item is worth........what is wrong with that, don't we all like to get a good deal? I know I am always looking for good deals and ALWAYS make lower offers on bottles I find in antique stores or bottle shows. It's not that I'm trying to get one over on anyone, I just simply like to save money where I can. The seller has the option of refusing the offer if he thinks it's too low.

NYCFlasks
07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I have had pretty good luck on eBay, having had the same registered name for a shy 10 years now.
Have sold some, and the prices ranged from very good for me, to very good for the buyer. All in all a crap shoot.
I mostly buy for my collection, and have had only one what I would call bad time. Purchased a peice of Brooklyn pottery, from the Charles Graham Chemical Pottery Works, and it arrived very, very poorly packed, and broken. A number of emails to the seller with no reply, so I sent it back. Checked his feedbacks, and quite a few negs, all for shipping related issues.
I heard from him, gave me contact info for his partner (the shipper). This shipper guy was a real turkey. Seems that he had been caught shipping contraband by UPS, and UPS was not processing his packages as a result, but he kept on using UPS. So all his packages were ending up the "dead letter office" so to say.
So, in the end, the seller replaced the broken item, turns out he had two of them, and I retracted my neg, and gave him a positive, as I really thought the seller went above and beyond by replacing the damaged item.
In nearly 10 years on eBay, with over 500 completed transactions, this was my worst experience, and in the end, it worked out.

tigue710
11-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I could go on and on, five bad pot stones, unmentioned, only one corrected by the seller, had a wolfes show up in pieces and never got my money, probably about 10 bottles with unmentioned flea bites and a few more with chips. Had a nice Ellenville glass works show up with cracks in the base... what else... A congress and empire springs which had a chip in the base, but the seller had put felt on the base and covered it, (what an ass), no refund, theres more, but I think that gets my point across... o yea, my last buy on ebay, a summer winter flask with what was described as a flea bite, a 1/4 chunk out of the base. The seller exclaimed that they had posted pictures and were not liable, thats when I just gave up and said no more... of about 30 damaged bottles I bought on e-bay as mint, a total of 2-3 grand spent, only one, a pot stone that cracked while being shipped was refunded, by bottleski, who also let me keep the bottle. George is a great guy...

whats wrong with selling stuff cheap you want to know? i guess you get all your bottles free. When I buy a bottle I expect to able to sell it for equal or greater value, if I sell 20-40 bottles a month, and loose money on half of them, why would I bother selling bottles? Well I dont anymore! I'll be sure to show up when your gone and offer your family 20% of what your collection is worth if thats what makes you happy! Geesh... you seem like a good guy Wilkie but thats about the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say...

I might of over reacted here, sorry for that. E-bay is a sore spot for me...

danboone
01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
eBay is not for everyone. I've been at it since 1997, have 100% feedback and have done very, very well selling bottles. Sure, there are bad sellers and bad buyers out there, but a little homework will save lots of headaches later. Look at feedback whether a buyer or seller...it says alot. Use the blocked bidder's list to prevent deadbeats from messing w/you again. My bone to pick is w/eBay itself. First they got you with their listing fees, then it was the percentage of what you sold, and now it's to the point of forcing you to use PayPal (also eBay's) where they slap another percentage on you as a seller. Up to now, it's been easy to state 'accept cashier's checks and money orders' in the auction narrative, but I hear eBay is getting ready to force the use of PayPal or else. That's when I retire. All in all, I've dealt with some of the most honest people in the world on eBay. Only one or two bad apples (non-payer deadbeat bidders or 'item not as described' sellers) in all my years of buying and selling.

ombudsman
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
A philosophical question: If a bottle is listed on eBay and is viewed by (presumably) many, many prospective buyers, doesn't the selling price fairly accurately reflect what the bottle is "worth"? It seems to me that eBay has become the great equalizer, making it much harder to score real "steals" at rural antique shops; most dealers use the internet now and can see what things are "worth."

By the same token, the buyer can see that the overpriced bottle in a shop or at a show could be acquired on eBay at a better price. "Worth" becomes more general and less localized.

Wilkie
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
This reply is 5 months late but I just saw Tigues comment to me and was blown away by his response. I feel compelled to reply. First of all he said that my comment was the stupidest thing he's ever heard anyone say! Really! Everyone should fork over the asking price for every bottle they want to buy? Why? Your the seller, you are in control, if you don't like the offer, "don't sell", sounds pretty simple to me. I'm not talking about eBay here, I'm talking bottle shows, antique stores, dark alley's......whatever. When I go to a bottle show, like most people, if I see something I like, I'll ask what the price is. If it is more than I want to pay, I'll make him an offer, if we don't agree, I'll politely tell him thank you and move on. I "think" this is pretty reasonable, am I really "STUPID" Matt for doing this? That was a pretty harsh thing to say in my oppinion and pretty uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to their oppinion and I am pretty sure that almost everyone would like to get a good deal, and not so they can gloat and say, "Hey, that idiot Matt just sold me this 10 dollar bottle for 5 bucks". 'cmon Matt, how "stupid" is that? If you really feel that way Matt, maybe you shouldn't put yourself in that position. I wouldn't want you to have a heart attack because someone makes you a low offer on something.

T D
04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
ORIGINAL: ombudsman

A philosophical question: If a bottle is listed on eBay and is viewed by (presumably) many, many prospective buyers, doesn't the selling price fairly accurately reflect what the bottle is "worth"? It seems to me that eBay has become the great equalizer, making it much harder to score real "steals" at rural antique shops; most dealers use the internet now and can see what things are "worth."

By the same token, the buyer can see that the overpriced bottle in a shop or at a show could be acquired on eBay at a better price. "Worth" becomes more general and less localized.

I just re-read this since this came back to the top and this is very well said. I too get a little weary listening to someone say a bottle is or isn't worth that. Whatever two people are willing to bid it up too is pretty good for me

Lordbud
05-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Besides ebay changing what is available in a retail setting for a set price (anyone checked out any California antique shops/collectives the past several years -- they're full of crap -- the good stuff is posted on ebay these days), ebay also sets those with the deepest pockets against each other for the most desirable bottles, or bottles no one knew were so desirable until a new record price is set on close of auction.

Two deep pocket collectors "setting the value" of a given bottle is unfair to the hobby as a whole, pricing new collectors out of the market. Does a formerly $10 dollar amber drugstore bottle from San Francisco magically become "worth more" because two deep pocket collectors bid it up to $200+ on ebay...?

I'm sure ebay and other online auctions have been a boon to those with top shelf bottles for sale who are in it for the money. As discussed in other threads ebay can also be hit or miss depending on any number of variables -- however any bottle not meeting reserve or high starting bid can always be sold at the next show if it's really worth what the seller's asking, right?

bottle_head9
05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I got ripped off from mr.bottledigger1 on ebay. I sent him a money order for $22.00.He wrote me back and said he dropped the bottle and cracked it.He then said, what do you want me to do? There are no refunds on my listing and the crack really isn`t that bad. I simply replied, Just send me my money back.I never recieved my money.I even contacted him and said send the broken bottle,no reply.I went through the ebay motions and nothing was done.Somehow ebay talked me into closing the case.I was only able to leave neg feedback, thats it.I just checked mr.bottledigger1`s feedback and he currently has 10 negatives in past 6 months.Why doesn`t ebay shut him down?As far a ebay goes, I believe you can get good deals if your patient and know what your looking for.I`ve found that when I`m spontanious about my bidding, I usually end up with somethig I really didn`t want.