PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which one do you buy??

annie44
07-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Here's the question. You have the choice between two of the same scarce bottles. One is in perfect condition, and sells for $1,000. The other has a lip chip, and sells for $200. Assume you can afford either. Which one do you buy??

cyberdigger
07-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I am a shameless tightwad.. I'll take the chip, but if it looks bad from across the room I won't buy either one.

JOETHECROW
07-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Cindy,....Tough call on that one. It's difficult to imagine 1000$ not being an issue[&:],...but based on my reality and outlook, I'd have to say the chip if it wasn't a glaring fault....That way you have an example of the bottle, and not such a high risk/benefit factor if something ever happened to it....Does that make sense? Joe

cc6pack
07-25-2009, 08:55 PM
This not only applies to bottles but any collectible or object you're looking at, buy the best condition available. It'll increase in value faster than the lower quality item.

woody
07-25-2009, 09:17 PM
If I could afford either I would buy the $1,000.00 bottle because they're not making them anymore.[;)]

appliedlips
07-26-2009, 12:00 AM
ORIGINAL: cc6pack

This not only applies to bottles but any collectible or object you're looking at, buy the best condition available. It'll increase in value faster than the lower quality item.

This sums it up nicely in my opinion. Its always easier to get your investment back on a bottle in good condition. I try not to buy damaged items unless it is so rare I don't think I will have a chance to buy a better example.

ktbi
07-26-2009, 02:56 AM
Assume you can afford either

$1000 - no question, if you are going to buy one of them.....Ron

capsoda
07-26-2009, 03:28 AM
This is a good one Cindy. [:)]

If I wanted it, it would be the $1000 bottle. I have done it when I could just barely afford it so if I had the moola, the $1000 one.

annie44
07-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I wish that minor damage didn't make such a difference in terms of the value of a bottle, but it does. I'm often tempted to buy bottles with minor damage because it seems like such a "good deal". However, as a collector I agree that it is the "mint" bottle that is the best investment.

potstone
07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I think for the most part anybody with unlimited cash flow is going to go for the undamaged bottle if givin a choice. So I guess if
money was not the issue I would go for the undamaged bottle.
But this subject has alway's bothered me. I don't think bottles
with slight damage should be looked at with as much negativity
as they are in alot of situations. I know people with collections
that have damaged bottles and the collections still look great.
Look at most of your major museums, you see alot of cracked
or chipped pieces on display.

baltbottles
07-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I think the answer also depends on how rare the bottle is. Is this a bottle that examples come up for sale quite regulary. If so what do nice examples usually bring. With such a drastic difference in price you maye be better off going with a wait and see attitude. To find out wat a fair market price is for a mite example.

Chris

privvydigger
07-28-2009, 05:30 AM
I get em both and any others......I just payed a good buck 200.00 for a rare one.
I would of and have even offered more for that same bottle!

Poison_Us
07-28-2009, 10:06 AM
At first, I thought this would be easy. I'm fairly thrifty, so at first, I would eye the chipped one. If I had the $1k, the chipped one would leave $800 left to buy something else, witch may be minty. On the other hand, all the reasons given to buy the mint example are most valid. But if buying both was also an option, sure. Maybe I want a table to set up at the next show and have some stuff to put on it.
I did this not too long ago, in a sense. My wife and I bought a KU-4 (F.A. Thompson coffin) It had a chip on the lip and an open bubble on the back. Displays real well as it's not obvious unless you pick it up. Cant find this bottle for less than $600 (saw one with label at the Smyrna show) Our flawed one was bought for around $250 believing we would never be able to afford a mint one. My belief; a flawed example of a rare bottle is better than no example at all.

Staunton Dan
07-28-2009, 05:57 PM
If money were't an object, the choice would be easy, the $1,000 bottle for sure. However, I would probably offer $800 for the good one and get the 2nd one also. That means both for $1,000. Sounds like a deal to me.

pyshodoodle
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Lobey would build them a pretty display case with lights that they couldn't resist and get them both for free. [:D]

I agree with Staunton Dan... but if they were different sellers and had already got the lowest price on both, I would go with the $1000 bottle. (Unless the $200 bottle was prettier!)