PDA

View Full Version : 500 for 1

passthebottle
07-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Putting the final touches on a mega deal that would net a guy 500 + common bottles that I have for one bottle that he has. These bottles represent my early collecting days annd all of these bottles if found toady would probably be left where I found them. Common b.i.m. bottles they all are, made up of unembossed medicines, Burnett's Boston, Baker's Extract, Johnson's Anodine, Vaseline Cheeseborough and so on... , what I'm getting in return is a food dressing bottle from N.H. that I forgot to remember the name of in a real deep aqua color. Oh, by the way, all of these bottles have been cleaned. Thinking back at the time and effort that I put into getting all thsese bottles thinking that they were worth something, but had lots of fun finding them and learning too.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/7480/86F083E13EC9429D9FF7550CC36BFDFD.jpg

cyberdigger
07-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Well, that's an interesting scenario!! I was just thinking to myself ..would I rather have a huge collection of commons (which I have) or just a few choice specimens....

photolitherland
07-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Holy crap, that guy is lucky as all get out to be getting all of those bottles. Id rather have that many old bottles and such than have one really really nice one.

madman
07-30-2009, 12:10 AM
ditto

baltbottles
07-30-2009, 04:15 PM
That's a good question. I think its always smarter to go with a few better bottles then just a hord of commons. I figured this out the first time I moved. Packing and moving 800 bottles is a pain in the butt. So I sold most of them and just concentrated on having fewer really good bottles.

Chris

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/94/8F02A99F907244A392E210B5F22BA3F6.jpg

GuntherHess
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Its a balance everyone needs to find for themselves.
In general quality is better than quantity.

I try to keep about 100 good bottles rather than 1000 lower end bottles.
I upgrade and cull the herd.
But I would rather have 100 good bottles than 2 great bottles.

cyberdigger
07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Every time I bring home a "good" bottle, I try to replace a crummy one one the shelf with it.. so slowly ever so slowly, my collection is improving just a bit.. "great" bottles are still kind of out of my reach.. for now.. I still enjoy the great horde effect, until I have to move!

bottle_head9
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Know what you mean. I just sold eight lower end bottles to buy two mid grade bottles.

baltbottles
07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Every time I bring home a "good" bottle, I try to replace a crummy one one the shelf with it.. so slowly ever so slowly, my collection is improving just a bit.. "great" bottles are still kind of out of my reach.. for now.. I still enjoy the great horde effect, until I have to move!

My question is what counts as a "great" bottle to you?

Chris

T D
07-30-2009, 10:28 PM
When I was young, I used to think I was going to have as many painted label bottles as anybody in the world. The older I get, I tend to collect more valuable or unusual bottles rather than collecting by bulk. My tastes lately have moved to older embossed sodas. A collector told me several years ago, that my collection would change directions eventually...it has...

madpaddla
07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Matt said it best. The part about having a balance. I am learning that ....but its a process. And I totally agree bottle directions do change. Its fun either way.
Madpaddla

cyberdigger
07-30-2009, 11:31 PM
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

My question is what counts as a "great" bottle to you?

Chris

A "great" bottle is, in my own definition, one that I would be afraid to be the owner of.. one that is known to be one of a kind, or worth more than all of my body parts put together.. OK that's a REALLY great bottle... great ones are worth more than 100 bucks to other collectors.

deep digger
08-05-2009, 04:34 AM
A great bottle to me might not be a great bottle to someone else. I have a bottle wich I consider great it is a one of a kind milk bottle from hightstown nj . I think it is great #1 because I dug it and #2 because its very rare.Its true a bottle of GREAT value should be considered great but I think sometimes rarity outweighs value just sometimes.

Poison_Us
08-05-2009, 09:22 AM
That is true, DD.We have found that the rarest of bottles dont always command the highest price. Design and personal appeal will drive any bottle up in price. We have several bottles which are very rare, only 10 or so known as the book says, and command a pretty good price. But we have several others that are a bit less rare, 50 or so known, that prices close to or over the G mark. They just appeal more to the eye and become more desirable.

mgardziella
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
When I started out collecting I just bought any soda bottle under $3 I could find. There were 2 problems with this. 1 I turned my nose up at "expensive" bottles that were actually great bargains, and I was getting a large collection of cheap, common bottles. After realizing there were thousands of sodas from America, I decided to concentrate on buying local bottles and ones that I knew I could resell for a higher price.

Oldtimer
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I finally gave up on dragging home any old bottle I found and started concentrating on finding and obtaining a certain type. Much happier now. In time, I will switch from the NH druggists and focus on more "top end" stuff..

cyberdigger
08-06-2009, 07:57 PM
OK, I just came into very close to 500 common bottles, and I am happy as a pig in poop!! [:)]

cyberdigger
08-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm probably one of the weirder bottle collectors but so be it.. I was only 5 years old when first empassioned by an old bottle.. that feeling never left me.. digging is a blast, and I had a really great site all to myself for 2 years, brought home 2000 bottles and studied every one.. gave them away like halloween candy for a while, even to curious strangers watching me muck around in the river.. I still have a loose palm when somebody expresses interest in something from the horde.. it's nice to have a lot of gift material. I was never in this for profit, and never will be.. I paint for money.. I just love bottles and learning about them, trading them, gifting them and finding second lives for them.. I just bought a bunch of strapsides for the express purpose of filling them with homemade palinka and giving them as gifts.. same goes for 6 Johann Hoffs, 6 saratoga ales, 6 Saxlehners and various other designs.. just to use them again, because they are old and beautiful and still useful to me. I bought a couple hundred commons ( I think) just so I can learn about them, and pass that info on to others.. foods, meds, inks, perfumes, anything I did not already know about came home with me.. hopelessly addicted to BIM I am but smiling nonetheless!

passthebottle
08-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey Cyber, congradulations on those 500. What are you going to do with all those commons, my guess is that you'll keep 10-20 of the best ones , maybe even shelf a few, then probably try to dump the rest at some point .

cyberdigger
08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Did I stutter? [:D]

Sorry I'm such a weisenheimer, PTB.. I think you didn't see my addendum...[;)]