PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone encountered a SB scroll flask

appliedlips
08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Not a big deal but something that made me think..

I recently dug a shard of a qt. scroll flask. It was different than any scroll flask I have encountered, in that it has a smooth base. No iron pontil missing the iron, just a nice smooth hinge mold circle. I have not yet referenced McKearin , but always thought they occurred only with Iron or Open pontils. Wondering if anyone had seen a smooth based example before. Thanks

EDITED TO MAKE A LITTLE MORE SENSE.

appliedlips
08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
No beer, just my average typing before saying aloud. Proof reading is for sissies.[:D] Thanks for the input, I've seen a pile of aquas in all sizes and a bunch of molds. All have been pontilled so I was curious.

kungfufighter
08-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Never happened to have seen one myself. Any chance of seeing some pics Doug?

appliedlips
08-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Jeff, here is a picture of the base. No roughness, whatsoever. It was a qt. but I am not sure what mold, there were 8 or 9 broken scroll flasks in the hole so I didn't save more than this base. Based on context it dates to the 1850's along with the others.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/3226/9A6FF9F11E894B6E81E960B2C32DDD39.jpg

kungfufighter
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Very interesting! Thanks much for the photos Doug. Is it a trick of the camera or is the base "squared off" (for a lack of a better word) like the McCarty-Torreson or Jenny Lind quarts?

appliedlips
08-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Jeff, No it's broken on the far side making it appear squared off.. I have compared it to a GII-3 and believe that is the mold the flask was blown in. My example is iron pontilled and does not have the key mold lines on the base. Checking McKearin no smoothbases are mentioned on any of the scroll molds..