PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a couple of bottles today

LC
09-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Picked up a couple of bottles today . One was an Empsems Soda from Cincinnati , Ohio . I think I had stated once that I had never seen a quart soda from Cincinnati before , but this one measures twelve inches tall , not sure if that makes it a quart size or not . Was too lazy to go in the house and measure out some water to check it ! I had a smaller version of this bottle some years ago (about the size of a hutch , possibly a bit taller), knocked the blasted thing over and broke the top off of it . I have also seen the smaller size in amber .

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/7769/613BDD1F3E194D76BC4ABA6B1FEB9DFE.jpg

LC
09-15-2009, 04:10 AM
And the other . Darn , I need a tumbler ! This bottle is a Dr. M. M. Fenners measuring ten and a quarter inches tall . It is embossed Dr. M. M. Fenners , PEOPLES REMEDIES , FREDONIA , N. Y. U.S.A. , KIDNEY & BACKACHES CURE , 1872 1898 . Both bottles have some stain , but I will take them both with joy being its been a long dry spell for me as for finding something decent .

The date on this one is 1872 to 1898 , can anyone date this bottle to its correct time period for this particular bottle ? Where are you at Gunth , you are usually pretty good at doing that .

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/7769/854552D2C68F4207A7B0D55BAF941F83.jpg

rockbot
09-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Hi LC, I think 32oz is one quart. That would be one big soda bottle.
Aloha, Rocky

LC
09-15-2009, 05:41 AM
That's a fact rocky , after more thought I would think this one would have to be around sixteen ounces , will have to get a measure and pour some liquid in to find out I guess . I think there has been quart sodas posted on here though , can anyone comment as to whether or not that is correct ?

rockbot
09-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Love the mug bases though!

cyberdigger
09-15-2009, 11:23 AM
That Cincy bottle is cool! I have about 10 quart sodas and beers, but I never saw one with a mug base! The 12 inch height sounds right for a quart.. very nice!

LC
09-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Thaniks Charles , the smaller one has the mug bsae as well .

RED Matthews
09-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi L C. I have a quart soda in front of me here that is12" tall and it has a big outlined STAR in the top left corner of the front panel. The unique thing is that there is a bottle with wings flying out of the center of the star. The front embossed lettering is in a script form that goes up diagonally at about 80ยบ angle "/ Star Bottling Works " and below that another line with "/ Elmira N.Y. ". All of the lettering has a really impressive of line flair in it. It has an applied lip blob with the top part having a straight taper.

I worked in Elmira and live nearby here in NY so this is a local interest bottle. I enjoy your posts on the Forum. Thanks RED M.

LC
09-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks much Red , if you get a chance to post a pic of that bottle you described , I would like to see it . Sounds like a beauty .