PDA

View Full Version : AVON

glass man
09-15-2009, 07:36 AM
I AM NO LOVER OF AVON BOTTLES,BUT AM A LOVER OF THE FACT MY NIECE IS ALWAYS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR BOTTLES FOR ME. I TELL HER HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE IT AND HOW ONE DAY SHE IS GONNA RUN UP ON THAT "GREAT BOTTLE:!

WELL TILL THEN SHE GOT ME AN AMBER AVON BOTTLE THAT IS A FOOTBALL BOTTLE. SEAMS AND ALL. NO LABEL. [IS EMBOSSED AVON]
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY KNOWS THE AGE OF THIS BOTTLE? WHATEVER INFO YALL CAN GIVE IS APRECIATED! I WILL PUT IN A PLACE WITH THE OTHER SWEET THINGS SHE HAS BOUGHT ME OVER THE YEARS.

DANG THAT SHE EVEN THINKS OF ME WHEN OUT FLEA MARKETING AND YARD SELLING MAKES ME FEEL SPECIAL! MY OWN DAUGHTERS DON'T DO THAT! JAMIE

cyberdigger
09-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey Jame, I think the football dates to 1970 or so, and had aftershave in it.. how sweet of your niece!!

glass man
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
THANKS CHARLIE MAN! YES SHE IS VERY GOOD TO ME! SHE HAS A FRIEND THAT HAS SOME OLD BOTTLES AND IS CONSTANTLY TRYING TO TALK HER OUT OF THEM TO GIVE TO ME! JAMIE

TJSJHART
09-15-2009, 11:54 AM
you's guys are right about the kids mine only think of me, i believe ,when they want something, but a couple of my younger brothers save and gather any soda bottles they come across , like the three that i posted earlier...

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/8566/2002372EE18C4673AAA8323B62BE8886.jpg

Poison_Us
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
My dad had a few Avon aftershave / cologne bottles. One was a black VW bug. I cant remember the others. But I'm sure they all dated form the late 60' to 70's as I cant remember them ever not being in his room.

Wilkie
09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I know the syndrome! I have a nice little amber "stetson" cologne bottle that my oldest son gave me. He was all excited because it is all embossed with a pattern that I see on leather, and has a brass cap. He really thought he had something good so I have it on display in my bathroom with a few other bottles. Too me it is a valuable bottle.

glass man
09-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Too me it is a valuable bottle. AMAN TIM!!! MY NIECE WILL EVEN CALL ME ON HER CELL PHONE AND DESCRIBE THE BOTTLES SHE IS LOOKING AT TO ME. NOTHING GREAT YET,BUT ONE DAY!/

SHE DID CALL ONCE AND TOLD ME THERE WERE A GOOD MANY OLDER LOOKING BOTTLES ON A TABLE AT AN YARD SALE. SHE TOLD WHERE IT WAS
I WENT TO IT AND DID GET A WHISKEY CYLINDER TOOLED TOP THAT WAS IN A NICE YELLOW OLIVE COLOR AND ONLY 75 CENTS. NO BIG DEAL ,BUT A PRETTY WINDOW BOTTLE AT A GREAT PRICE!

NOW IF IT HAD BEEN EMBOSSED AND WESTERN....

JAMIE

glass man
09-16-2009, 04:22 AM
FORGOT: MY NIECE ALSO GAE ME A AVON BOTTLE THAT IS A HORSE HEAD WITH A SMOKING PIPE SCREWED ON TO IT!
LITTLE DRILLING AND IT WOULD GO "BONG"!

ancientdigger69
09-17-2009, 01:27 AM
one of the other guys i work with (we drive tow trucks) collects avon botttles and i always give him a hard time. he knows im only kidding but its fun to call him gay. i just bought him an encyclopedia on avon bottles and some new ones for him the other day at a yard sale.

glass man
09-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Bet your buddy was glad to get it! Some avon bottles are pretty cool looing ,like the car ones. When NINA'S Grandmom died NINA got a milk glass clock avon with a paper lable that has the hands and numbers for the time on it,has a black top. Pretty cool! I know it is in this "HOUSE OF THE BLACK HOLE " some where!

Our niece has a lot of her stuff stored here as does her mom my sis in law. [THIS IS THEIR STORAGE BUILDING! [:D] Now this with all our stuff too,makes it hard to find things. I go to try to find something and hardly ever find what I was looking for,but always find something I forgot I had or couldn't find it before.

I have a FOLGER'S OLASAONIAN o.p. HERE SOME WHERE! I put it away cause I was so disipointed cause I bought it from a guy in the bottle mag. IT was listed as mint,well it was very cloudy!DAMN I WANT IT NOW,BUT WHERE IS WALDO THE BOTTLE?

MAYBE I WILL FIND IT WHEN I GO TO LOOK FOR MY ALBUM THAT HAS "IN THE YEAR 2525" ON IT BY ZAGGER AND EVENS![:-] {ONE HIT WONDER}

Just Dig it
09-17-2009, 07:21 AM
jamie i see way 2 many avon bottles around..ill have to start a box of them for you[:D] see what i can do

RED Matthews
09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Hello to you bottle collectors: I read this thread and wanted to let you know, that while I worked at Thatcher's I was extensively involved with molds for many of these bottles. We had an edge on the business because of a bottle designer that really put them into being and acceptance with the Avon people. That lasted until he came up with a duck bottle that was nearly an impossible one to make on a glass machine. The next tough one got him fired. So he went to work for Avon and got other glass factories making them.

I have a lot of them, cars, train engine, and many others. I even have some samples that never were produced in a regular production line. Some of them were a challenge to make. The parison had to provide proper distribution in the final bottle but it was often off center to the finish centerline. Like in the case of the duck bottle, it was a challenge to get the glass from the blank mold to the final blow mold.

At least some people are interested in their fantacy existance. RED Matthews

ktbi
09-18-2009, 09:27 PM
I have about a dozen or so in a box in the garage my Step-Mom gave me when she moved about 10 years ago. Not sure what they are as I haven't really looked, but I think they are all full. Some are quite valuable, up to 4 dollars each! Ron

morbious_fod
09-19-2009, 01:33 AM
I picked up a couple of Avon bottle recently, yeah I know; however, at a buck each I couldn't resist. I got the blue Thunderbird complete, even still has the label, and the aqua Mustang from the same series. I have found out that there is an Edsel out there as well as a Studebaker. I'm wanting to find one of the Edsels, but I'm doubting I will find that one for a buck, but who knows. I also got one of the silver dollar bottles, with the silver paint worn off, and one of the indian head penny bottles with some flakes missing, but not too bad. I doubt I will be making it a habit of collecting these past an Edsel, unless some other older cars start showing up.

Rockhounder55
09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
One of the coolest car Avon bottles, if you're a Mopar fan, is called the Stock Car if I remember correctly. It's a '69 Dodge Daytona. Many that I have come across in the past were missing the wing.