PDA

View Full Version : Small blue bottle has me stumped

Bruno10
02-29-2004, 01:13 AM
This bottle has me stumped to what it is and its worth.
It is 2 3/4" tall, 1 3/4 " wide and 5/8" thick at widest point.
It is BIMAL, oval bottom, slug plate has a backward P and forward P in a circle.
It was found at South Lake Tahoe CA 1965 at a highway realignment project.
I know nothing about it. I am looking for:
rarity, circa, value, is it pill or poison?

Thank you in advance
Bruno

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1436/Mj24624.jpg

Harry Pristis
02-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Munsey figures this bottle in two sizes. One is embossed B.P.Co. Circa 1900.

I have seen this bottle with a label, and I think it contained an antacid or some similar common medicine. Not a poison.

---------Harry Pristis

Bruno10
03-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Thank you Harry for your input. You said the one from Munsey had a B.P embossed on it. The one I have has a backward P and a forward P. I'm not sure what they stand for. I never thought of it being an antacid.

Thanks
Bruno

Harry Pristis
03-01-2004, 04:39 PM
From Cecil Munsey's book:

Pill bottles, cobalt, embossed "B. P. co.," with "P" in a
circle on the sides. H. 1.75 in. and 3 in., c. 1900. Emboss-
ing painted for photographing.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/524/Jg14389.jpg

Bruno10
03-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Harry,

Thank you very much for your detailed answered. I can't read the B. P. Co on my bottle. There are just some etched out marks where the letters should be. Now I know what should be there. You have cleared up a mystery for me. Thank you.

Bruno

PS
Can you send me in a direction where I can find it's worth?

Harry Pristis
03-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Bruno . . .

There are many variants of bottles, perhaps including these, as companies changed ownership, their bottle molds, and their claims of efficacy for the products.

If you can't read it now, it is unlikely that B.P.Co. was ever embossed on your bottle. Otherwise, you wouldn't have the logo either.

For value, check eBay. I think it would bring between $10 and $20 depending on condition (that's based on bottle show prices, not eBay).

----------Harry Pristis

Bruno10
03-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Thank You

Bruno10
03-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Scott,

Thank you for the information it's very interesting. I can see how this bottle would fit into a pockett just perfectly. How cool you have one with the pills still inside.

Thanks alot
Bruno

olddump
03-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Scott, as you like these check out this one i dug today. I like them myself. This one is a cure too so that doubles up on it's charm. It say's "CILL'S CATARRH CURE" it is 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1318/Ay74199.jpg

tazmainiendigger
03-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi Bruno, I am a avid "ink" collector. I saw this post sometime back and when going through my older books trying to Id some of my inks, I found yours or very similar... Pg 127 in the 1982 Kovel's bottle book sixth ed. The price back then was $8.00 I thought this new info might add some new confusion....[:D] Taz

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1020/Sq47630.jpg

Maine Digger
03-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Digger, I agree regarding the Kovells, they just gather info and sell it! But let me ask you and any of the other veteran collectors out there, is there a definitive bottle guide we should have in our home library? Or do you look for books that specialize in certain kinds of bottles like the Red Book for masons etc. ?

tazmainiendigger
03-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Maine Digger, This may sound silly but I have 3 different volumes of John P. Adams books on bottle collecting in New England & America published approx. 1965-1970 these are "quick" ID books numerous bottles and great index ( got a name look it up in the back of the book) I have located a good deal of my unknowns just browsing the rows of bottles illustrated, picking shapes for clues... Yes you will find a mistake here and there and his prices are whacked but great new england guide book... Betty Zumwalts book Ketchup Pickles Sauces is another classic for food stuffs . My newest book is Carlyn Ring & W.C. Ham ( Bitters Bottles) that sure is a bible like book! [8D] It has so much specific info your head will spin lol... I believe you do need specialty books for specifics to be up on top of it all and good old experience... Well starting to ramble..... Taz

Maine Digger
03-14-2004, 07:15 PM
thanks for the info, we'll hopefully see you at the show in Portland. Maine

Bruno10
03-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Hello,

Thank you every one for all the information. I am very glad I joined this forum. It seems to be full of great people[:D] who are willing to share lots and lots of great information.

Thanks again

Bruno