PDA

View Full Version : TYPE OF PONTIL?

olddump
04-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Yesterday I dug this big sided ink. On the bottom it has a straight line of rough glass that goes all the way through the bottom of the bottle. Does anyone know of a type of pontil such as this. I've thought snap pontils were round. This would be a flat piece of glass. Thanks for any help
Tom, Olddump

olddump
04-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Here is a pic of the bottom of this bottle. Disregard the attachment in last post.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1318/Hf97519.jpg

Harry Pristis
04-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Hey, Tom . . .

I don't know what caused the mark on the bottom of your bottle -- it is not a pontil scar with which I am familiar.

I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "snap case pontil." The snap case was a basket-like gripper which cradled the new bottle. It was used instead of a pontil rod.

If there were any trace left by the snap case, it would be a slight indentation on the side of a bottle where it was gripped by the tool.

------------Harry Pristis

olddump
04-01-2004, 01:05 PM
My mistake I know about what a snap case is so the picture and question should say what I did'nt. It's not a pontil I've seen either but as it goes all the way through the bottom of the bottle and is rough as if it had been snapped off [what I meant dropping the word case] if anyone does know please help me thank you. I can't think of any reason for such a thing
Tom, Olddump

David E Dearden
04-02-2004, 05:20 AM
Hi Tom you and Harry would know more about this type of thing but I just wanted to say that it was a bad mold for some strange reason. Maybe a piece of metal got in there
just before the glass was blown into it. That's the fun of being a Detective, my real former job. I guess there are lot of strange things as all the old stuff is under the ground sometimes even evidence.
Thanks again for finding my bottle, and I wonder if Admin would give me a new handle like dump detective?
Dave

olddump
04-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey Dave, This really has me stumped if Harry has never heard of it I probably won't get it solved. I wish I could get a pic of the inside too I'm convinced it's a pontil as it is glass and been broken off for some reason could be somthing they tried I don't know. But that's what makes this forum so great. Well we'll see what today brings I'm going digging this P.M. that will brighten up this dull drizzly day[:D]
Keep Looking, Tom, Olddump

olddump
04-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Harry, Thanks I edited the case out so no one can tell how little I know[:D]
Tom, Olddump

olddump
04-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Here is a picture of the inside of this bottle you can see it come through the bottom. Any help please and thanks ??

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1318/Zx72385.jpg

amblypygi
04-06-2004, 10:45 PM
I'll bet that's not an ink, but a lamp, and the pontilish bit had something to do with stabilizing the metal part of the wick holder, if you can picture what I mean? Just a guess, but the ground top and large size seem to indicate a lamp.

This forum is a nice idea, I had given up on usenet because posting anything brought the spammers outa the woodwork like roaches!

Harry Pristis
04-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Welcome to this forum, Bruce.

Do you collect fossil echinoids? ...or are you a hiker? ...Doesn't Amblypygus mean "walking foot"? I have Amblypygus, the echinoid, in my own collection.

----------Harry Pristis

tazmainiendigger
04-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi tom, that is a interesting looking vessel you have there! I would be inclined to think Bruce is on the right track. I found this old lamp 20 ft down when the excavator was digging along the old railroad track( no hand attached to it) lol It is not a pretty as yours but it does have the sheared ground top no pontil or pimple in the bottom of this one though... Taz

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1020/Qo39246.jpg

tazmainiendigger
04-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Ground sheared lip....

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1020/Sq48186.jpg

olddump
04-07-2004, 09:47 AM
This is posible because at one time there was a handle of some sort on this [if you look in the last pic you can see where it has been broken off] that too had me confused. A HANDLE ON AN INK? Now after you guys input it is probably a lamp thanks. Now from this angle I'll see if I can figure out why the flat glass bar through the bottom.
The shape of this made me think ink but it is also a great shape for a lamp as it would be hard to flip over. So thanks again and good lookin.
Tom, Olddump

amblypygi
04-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi Harry! I'm not Bruce, I'm Sean. We know each other sorta, we got in a "discussion" about the meaning of applied lip once [:)] Good to see you here!

Amblypygi are extant animals called whip spiders, I have a few as pets. I didn't realize there was an echinoid Genus that was so close, that's interesting. Here's one:

Sean

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/1654/Us54376.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Uploading a Picture (https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Uploading_a_Picture/m_4115/tm.htm) - Admin

deepwoods
04-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Wow! - And I thought holding something old in your hand meant a big,open pontil-that creature dosnt look like its evolved in 50 mil yrs..I know it would give my wife and daughter multiple,concurrent coronaries!

Harry Pristis
04-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Hello, Sean . . .

Sorry for the name confusion, I am easily confused these past couple of days! Dental work and pain-killers!

I hope our past discourse was civil (I don't really remember it). Your name was strangely familiar, though. I thought it might be from some fossil-collecting association.

The echinoid is Amblypygus americanus, a large urchin which is (in my experience) difficult to find.

I have not seen a "whip spider" in the wild. I did find one of those whip scorpions (a "vinegaroon") on the road one night in West Texas while looking for snakes. It was so bizarre-looking, I didn't want to handle it, though I know intellectually it is not dangerous. I did get some pictures. These critters will never replace hamsters!

---------------Harry Pristis

deepwoods
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Dont tell me-Its name is "Fluffy"...

Maine Digger
04-07-2004, 12:30 PM
No, not 'fluffy' I'm guessing it's name is SPIKE![:D] That's what i really like about the Forum, you never know what's going to surface. That does it Harry, I'm convinced you were the neighbor behind the fence in the television citcom 'Home Improvement", you know the guy who never showed his face, but had an incredible wealth of knowledge.[8|]