PDA

View Full Version : Hope this is suitably Hostoric?...

earlyglasscollector
11-23-2012, 02:34 PM
This is I think the last sealed octagonal to pass through my hands last year, and still one of my favourites, love it's iridescence, and the provenance is perfect!

https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/nightdes/P1090246.jpg

earlyglass

LC
11-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Crude looking bottle , thanks for posting it .

epackage
11-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Amazing bottle for sure...

JOETHECROW
11-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Winner, winner, ...chicken dinner!!! [:D] https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/micons/m6.gif

Loving that bottle for every reason...!

RED Matthews
11-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Hello again Mark; I would like to know the lettering - I couldn't be sure of all the words.
I really like your bottle definitions and showings. Some send me looking for definition, like "cross hinge mold" ???
RED Mathews

cowseatmaize
11-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Hope this is suitably Hostoric?..Yes Mark, it sure is!
It's not a website but this place is really confusing the hell out of me now. I'll go with the flow and ask the same as Red now. What is it exactly? That seal is great but I cant read it either.

earlyglasscollector
11-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes sorry guys, the seal reads "COLLETT/AND/FAULKNER/BATH". I've actually lost the research I did on it which came up with the dates etc, but they were wine and spirit merchants in the middle to late 18thC.

The crosshinge mold term? I guess you are referring to the English boot in my other post on here which is molded, in two halves, where these earlier molds encased the complete bottle as such, including the base, so you get a mold line running across the base. Later two piece molds however essentially had just the sides which came together sliding over a separate base section, so you don't get a mold line on the base. Hope you get what I mean?

Thanks for the kind comments.

earlyglass

earlyglasscollector
11-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Sorry, forgot to say, I love the placename too. Bath is a tremendously historic town, originally popularised by the Romans and named after the baths they made there making use of the mineral springs etc naturally rising in the area. This carried on through to the 18th and early 19th C's (check out Jane Austens novels for genuine descriptions) and posh families would "take the waters" for their health, staying in Bath and having a great time with social entertainments, theatres, balls tours etc etc. Very evocative.
earlyglass

AntiqueMeds
11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
The Historic Glass name of this forum section is a tribute to Bill Lindsey's website http://www.sha.org/bottle/
In the past people would post things here they wanted him to see.

Bath is a neat town , I went through there years ago.
I like the river bridge with the shops along it..

cowseatmaize
11-23-2012, 06:09 PM
So it's not Bath, Maine? [:D][:D] I figured someone used it before then.
Anyway, no worries on the category, just getting crazy. I had a not so great week.

earlyglasscollector
11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Sorry, have I posted this in the wrong place?
Not sure of the etiquette as a newcomer here of course, and don't know about this "website" mentioned, if anyone can edify me?
Will keep to pontils only section in future.

earlyglass

cowseatmaize
11-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Sorry, have I posted this in the wrong place? It's fine, don't worry about it. I'll delete you if I hate it, unless I have a horrible week but I like to keep things in perspective. Actually, I wont do that either. Anyplace is a good place for that.
Nothing can be a horrible as some people go through on a daily basis. Mine was just a "not so good" week and that's not bad.
Ignore the thing under my name too. Well for the most part.[:)]

RED Matthews
11-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi Tim, I see everything here from the weather to you name it. I am surprised to see other instructions. RED M.

AntiqueMeds
11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry, have I posted this in the wrong place?

Its not a big deal. I think the way it was setup is any posts in this section would initiate an email to Mr Lindsey (or at least be directed to his attention).
I dont know if that is still the case. The point of the forum section isnt really all that clear in its description.
A couple forum sections operate uniquely. The SCAM and FRAUDs section is another one. It requires admin approval for its posts.

surfaceone
11-23-2012, 08:13 PM
ORIGINAL: earlyglasscollector

This is I think the last sealed octagonal to pass through my hands last year, and still one of my favourites, love it's iridescence, and the provenance is perfect!

earlyglass

Grreat seals, almighty!

Wonderful bottle, that, Mark. I'd not be insulted one bit, to see several more excellent photos, please. [8D]

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RClwqVAAU2Y/TokRHwU0q4I/AAAAAAAAAOg/3-0ay39CHR0/s1600/Bath+England.jpg

AntiqueMeds
11-23-2012, 10:36 PM
here's an old photo I took at night in Bath ... many years ago.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/10643/F46CEDB2EFA344B3A8FA6EE693069DB1.jpg

earlyglasscollector
11-24-2012, 06:37 AM
...love the pics of Bath, very evocative and ....well historic...! It could easily be somewhere in Italy.
I find it fascinating though all the habits and procedures of 18th and 19thC ladies and gentlemen and their servants and carriages all going to Bath to take the waters.....

earlyglass
will see what else I can find seal wise....

cowseatmaize
11-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I think the way it was setup is any posts in this section would initiate an email to Mr Lindsey (or at least be directed to his attention).
I dont know if that is still the case. The point of the forum section isnt really all that clear in its description. A couple forum sections operate uniquely. The SCAM and FRAUDs section is another one. It requires admin approval for its posts. I'm not sure of the email thing but I think a simple title change may be in order. All of the other post sure can't be deleted. Steve has committed so much to it as have others. I also think the "suggest a website" was added after the start of this.
A total revamp is just kind of impracticable after 10+ years. Maybe even impossible without a huge amount of data loss.
Scams and frauds should be just... well, gone.
Only the creator can do that it it would sure be a lot of work. I know I don't have the permissions or really the inclination.

blobbottlebob
11-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Earlyglass,
The bottle is so crazy crude that it looks like an artist rendering of what an old bottle would look like. Very neat.

AntiqueMeds
11-24-2012, 10:31 AM
quote:

I think the way it was setup is any posts in this section would initiate an email to Mr Lindsey (or at least be directed to his attention).
I dont know if that is still the case. The point of the forum section isnt really all that clear in its description. A couple forum sections operate uniquely. The SCAM and FRAUDs section is another one. It requires admin approval for its posts. I'm not sure of the email thing but I think a simple title change may be in order. All of the other post sure can't be deleted. Steve has committed so much to it as have others. I also think the "suggest a website" was added after the start of this.
A total revamp is just kind of impracticable after 10+ years. Maybe even impossible without a huge amount of data loss.
Scams and frauds should be just... well, gone.
Only the creator can do that it it would sure be a lot of work. I know I don't have the permissions or really the inclination.

I'm not asking to change anything, I'm just trying to explain why things are what they are. It can be a bit mysterious for newer posters.
If you really want to change something, stop locking down post editing after five minutes. That's my biggest beef with the forum.

cowseatmaize
11-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I went to Bill's website and it's giving me trouble at the moment. I hope to get a hold of him soon and maybe he'll offer to write back with a new introduction to the latest site. It should certainly be something to be pinned to the top somewhere.
I think I have his old addy but that was from more than 8 years ago. Either way I'd like to move the site to a more permanant home for all to find more easily here. The first post wasn't really even stating the old BLM.
This is just one of those categories that are hard to decide on to me.
Maybe the user name here email is up to date? I'll try that.

cowseatmaize
11-24-2012, 11:11 AM
ORIGINAL: earlyglasscollector

earlyglass
Sorry Mark!
I got sidetracked and hijacked the thread a bit (more than a bit). I apologize.
It a great bottle and I hope I can learn more about it now. Have you any more information?
Other than it's not Bath, Maine that is.

AntiqueMeds
11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Maybe the user name here email is up to date? I'll try that.

Let me know if you have trouble contacting him. I just sent him a medicine guide recently and emailed him a few times. He's a nice guy and very knowledgable.