PDA

View Full Version : What's your thoughts

botlguy
11-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey Guys and Gals:
Thought I would share a recent addition to my Wife’s collection of Sewing Machine Oil bottles. As seen, the bottle is a common type pharmacy bottle with a Sewing Machine Oil label. I have a couple of questions: Do you think this is a re-purposed bottle or did the Pharmacist sell the S.M. oil? Is this 5” bottle: A. PLAGGE / PHARMACIST / 3RD AVE. COR. 101ST / ST. NEW YORK a common one or not?
Just curious, like it just the way it is.

Having some trouble posting the picture

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/11770/E9993BFC546844F7B56527C7F0A6E9D3.jpg

ScottBSA
11-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi. I'm here to speculate with you on this. My great grandfather ran a hardware store in a small town about 1900. I have a picture of the store with what appears oil and gasoline containers outside. Gasoline was sold by anyone willing to take the risk of selling the stuff. I would guess that buying sewing machine oil in quantity and applying a label locally would be a fairly cost effective way to make money on the sale of the oil. I reckon that a 1900 pharmacy might have other things besides pharmaceuticals for sale inside. Labeled bottles are cool.

Scott

botlguy
11-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks Scott, I certainly agree that the Pharmacist could have done exactly as you describe. Well stated.