PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Pet Peeves about Ebay.

grizz44
02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Now I'm not complaining here because I use Ebay all the time both buying and selling but there are a few little things that just bug the heck out of me. I'm going to start listing them here and if you want to add to them just bump the number up till we get to 100.

1. I hate snipers. Especially when I'm trying to snipe something and they beat me.

2. Too many collectors on there. I want first pick and I want them cheap.

3. I hate reserve auctions. Either tell me what you want for it or start it somewhere and take your chances.

4. I hate it when they put great pictures in their auction. Makes for too much competition.

5. I hate when the seller wants to ship "economy". By the time you get it, you forgot you bought it.

Well that's all for now. Maybe I should change it to top 10.

epackage
02-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Having to give part of the shipping costs to Ebay/Paypal is the only thing that irks me...

botlenut
02-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Although I rarely have conflicts with people. I as a seller think I should have the right to give negative feedback. I have given two refunds that were really unwarrented. Mainly just to keep from getting a neg. If I can get a neg, I should be able to deal one out. I do enjoy selling from my own house, at my own scheduale though. Just my opinion.

Dugbottles
02-16-2013, 09:48 PM
When you do a revise your listing and they count it as one of you 50 free listings

UncleBruce
02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
. I hate snipers. Especially when I'm trying to snipe something and they beat me.

Hee Hee Hee [sm=lol.gif] [sm=kiss.gif]

Plumbata
02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Seems to go both ways for many of those peeves there Grizz44. Especially when it comes to sellers in Europe with crap English who go rob ancient celtic, roman, byzantine, and viking ruins and tombs of their valuables to sell on ebay no reserve starting at a buck. I've gotten super excellent ancient stuff very cheap because such sellers didn't even know what they were selling, and had bad pics, titles, and descriptions on top of it. Not nearly as easy to find extraordinary deals on bottles, and when it comes to 500.00+ bottles my collection is lacking, well, I would much rather spend the money on a 16th century Hungarian war hammer or other badass piece of medieval skullcrushing steel than a useless fragile empty 19th century bottle with a pretty color. Much prefer digging them anyway. Depends what one is looking for but eBay is still a superb source of steals if you are a collector of the right kind of stuff and are creative about how you look for it.

ORIGINAL: botlenut

I as a seller think I should have the right to give negative feedback.

This is my main beef. Quite recently some British asshat left a negative because he had to pay import duties. Pretty obviously the responsibility of the buyer, one would think. He wanted me to not only refund that, but a bunch of extra cash to compensate for his "inconvenience" before he would remove the negative. I would have been OK with refunding the customs fees even though I am under no legal or moral obligation to do so, but extortion takes it way too far. I can live with the negative, but wish I could let others know to be wary of the buyer.

I am pretty sure that when a seller leaves a "positive" feedback it can be removed if what is expressed isn't positive. So "Beware all sellers, this guy is a reverse scammer" would probably get deleted by eBay because it doesn't jive with the whole "positive" thing. eBay makes it pretty hard for sellers to protect themselves or warn each-other about the bad-apple-buyers out there.

zecritr
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
ORIGINAL: Dugbottles

When you do a revise your listing and they count it as one of you 50 free listings

so true a big Grrrr there

and the others by Plumbata

My biggest peeve has been when ebay or paypal or both screw up people being able to pay...has happened to me a few times now as both buyer and seller

justanolddigger
02-17-2013, 12:22 PM
both buying and selling

As a seller, I assume you go against the things you hate about ebay & take lousy pics, run a short time frame so less people have a chance to see your item, and block all snipe bidders, I'm sure you hate last minute bids to cheat the poor guy that bid early on your auctions?

grizz44
02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Don't worry, I don't hate Ebay and my peeves change from time to time depending on the situation. That's why they are peeves instead of gripes or complaints. The perfect auction would be one where I could buy what I wanted dirt cheap and sell what I had for twice its value. Instead we have reallity and good ole Ebay accepting the good and the bad. There's really no place else on or off the internet where one can get the exposure to sell or find the huge variety when looking to buy.

While I'm at it --- 7. I hate rag mops, I'm a sponge mop kinda guy. Everybody knows rag mops don't work!

cowseatmaize
02-17-2013, 02:22 PM
ORIGINAL: epackage

Having to give part of the shipping costs to Ebay/Paypal is the only thing that irks me...
Yup, me too. I may have to move to St Louis so it's closer to the same anywhere.
Gotta charge you cause you may be trying to avoid fees, they say? Right!!!
It's more like your sending it to California from the east coast so you have to pay more.

There's one?
They should have an "Only ships to the following states".[:D]

Kidding, I know, if the shipping is too much, west coasters just won't buy or will bitch about it later.

cowseatmaize
02-17-2013, 02:34 PM
ORIGINAL: UncleBruce

. I hate snipers. Especially when I'm trying to snipe something and they beat me.

Hee Hee Hee [sm=lol.gif] [sm=kiss.gif]
Snipe...click, click...snipe. Darn, you still beat me to it.

antlerman23
02-17-2013, 02:37 PM
well, just recently, i bought a cheap stomeware beer bottle for $5 with free shipping[:D]
yesterday, i got a notice in the mail telling me to pay the postage due.
that asshat sent the bottle media mail for $3.63!!! now im on the hook for over $5.
not a huge amount, but there is no way im paying $10 for that bottle. im trying to get him to refund my $5 i paid him
ugh, that guy sucks.

cowseatmaize
02-17-2013, 03:00 PM
ugh, that guy sucks. I did something like that years ago. I had an old and used Priority box that I turned inside out (the kind with all the flaps and slots). At that time they didn't have the printing on the inside. I did send it 1'st class but I still got called on it for the additional $1.50 or whatever. I refunded the guy $5.
Oh wait, that's more a PO gripe.
New Thread coming soon! [:D][:D][:D]

cyberdigger
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I hate it when you have the only bid and the seller decides to pull the listing right before it ends..!

grizz44
02-17-2013, 03:39 PM
I hate it when you have the only bid and the seller decides to pull the listing right before it ends..!

Yeah me too!

cowseatmaize
03-29-2013, 07:09 AM
There's a lot of buyer prospective here but I sold 5 things recently.
I hate snipers that come in on the last 20 seconds and after 2-3- whatever days and still don't pay. That happened recently and I said F-it. They went to a great forum member now.
Another didn't snipe but I ran through the whole NPB process, more than a week.
3 out of 5 isn't great.[:@]

splante
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
I hate ebayers that do not leave feedback.
You go through all the trouble of packing an item really well, ship it fast for a whopping two dollar profit ,you leave positive feedback and the buyer never ends up leaving feedback.
I have over 450 ebay feedback ratings and it could should be close to about 650 or 700

I hate the fees coming soon 10% of sale 10% of shipping and then more for paypal

ironmountain
03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
i hate when you go into a thrift store and see a 20 dollar tool/item marked at 100.00 and "it lists for more than that on ebay" listing and actual sell price is an entire different world.

i also dislike ppl who list a decent first edition book for .99 and end up selling it for 12 bucks and i'm not fast enough to buy it.

i could go on but i'll end up in a straight jacket.

luckily my buddy and i are selling knives(esee bark river and becker are our best sellers out of 400 brands) so its all steady now. no more tons of research to end up selling something for dirt cheap because everybody and their brother has one and then the 400% in fees.

RCO
03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
i hate dealing with the post office , has been a couple sales this winter where i sold something only to find out shipping costs are not what i though . sold a small wallet i had got as a gift and had no use for . estimated shipping at $5 but went to post office and got a quote for $9 which seemed way to high , eventually after more quotes and after postal lady checked the size again it was determined shipping would cost $ 3.50 which was alot less that original quote . i often feel the post office is trying to steal my profits away which high shipping costs

but as for ebay itself find the site pretty good , is alot of competition for good items , have been getting out bid on most of the bottles i see , guess as i mature as a collector i'm starting to go after better bottles than before and trying to buy ones more serious collectors want as well but they have more $

diggerdirect
03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
I'd have to say the ebay fee on shipping as #1, advertise paypal only as #2, only nicey nice feedback to deadbeat buyers as #3, the star rating system & consequences as #4 and the placing of others items on your paid for listing page as #5.

Other than that, & in spite of all that its still the best game in town for the broad spectrum of items turned up in a dump or privy.

mctaggart67
03-30-2013, 04:46 PM
My biggest pet peeve isn't aimed directly at Ebay, but at inattentive (uncaring, in some cases) sellers who just don't understand that mint condition means flawless! With considerable frequency, I'll buy bottles on Ebay that arrive with pre-shipping damage, despite sellers' descriptions that use phrasings, such as "perfect condition," "no chips, cracks, scratches," etc. I verify such absolute statements by examining posted pix closely and double-checking with the sellers by emailing questions. And still I get bottles with lip flakes, small bruises (the type that grow over time), scuffs, etc. I'm not buying super rare and super expensive bottles on Ebay, so I'm not out very much, but its still irks me. Thankfully, most sellers will issue a small refund. Some play games -- short-term thinking for short-term gain, but losing sight of the big picture of building a solid and loyal customer base. Then again, my expecting different results from doing the same thing fits one definition of insanity, so I must be crazy!

My second biggest pet peeve, is Ebay's PayPal-payment-only policy. In Canada (and I imagine in the USA, too), it is not lawful to prohibit commercial transactions in actual, real live, legal tender specie. In other words, if two parties want to make a cash deal, then, under Canadian law, they have every right to do just that. This right extends to using any other legally recognized representative form of cash, such as cheques, money orders and debit transactions. And this right cannot be denied in any sales forum, whether physical like a traditional store or electronic like Ebay. Of course, Ebay knows this, so its policy wording is intentionally, but legally, misleading in that sellers must agree to publicly state with their listings that they accept PayPal only.

The idea here is that if sellers have to make such a statement, then customers will believe it and thus everyone follows the policy, and this all sets up a sort of "if you say it enough times, it becomes truth" system which is not questioned by its users. Indeed, I just had a newbie seller refuse a cash payment and local pick up because she believed that she must follow Ebay payment policy. To boot, she said she had to ship by Canada Post because that, too, is Ebay policy. Her fear was that if she accommodated the cash payment and local pick up, Ebay would deny her seller status.

Cripes, I wish people think for themselves and stand up for themselves! Economically speaking, I'm no leftie. In fact, I believe in the power of the free market. And that is precisely my point: a free market. If we blindly follow the dodgy policy dictates of companies like Ebay, then we lose some of our personal power and this diminishes the strength and thus the value of a free market.

Hey, you know what? My second biggest pet peeve about Ebay is actually my biggest one!

ironmountain
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Fees are a pain..... thank the people selling stuff for .99cents and shipping being 150$ for the addition of fee % for shipping.

cowseatmaize
04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't like that it's PP only but it's is what I'd prefer. The percentage is minimal to me and I also know I'm paying about the same 3% extra at any store that takes credit card. The truth is more that a store market charges extra for all items rather that discounting for cash to compensate.

As far as buying goes, maybe the 44 cents (or whatever, I bought the anytime stamps) to mail checks in the US but out of country would be totally impractical for me.

ironmountain
04-02-2013, 05:44 PM
yah..the PP fee isn't enough to feel hurt about...Because as you say (cowseatmaize), you eat the cost the store owner has to pay from the CC service. (Discover Card used to be 4$ alone). The fees for final value/shipping/insertion/pp can get expensive.
I'm glad we're not liquidating storage units for our friend and a few others in town (he has 400 units). So many categories of items. takes forever to get those written up. Since we've slowly started building our physical inventory of knives/cutlery/tomahawks etc.. plus field/outfitter/guide gear... nice to just set prices and let it sit until it sells. (bark river knives sit for about, 1-2days..makes it convenient that they're 45miles away). Easier to branch away from eBay and create website/b&m store...

Oh one more peeve.... people who order a custom knife, pay for it.. wait the 2days-2wks for it to be crafted, then ask if the handle wood or micarta colors can be changed...Send back to BRK, have them pull the bolster,handles, replace and send it back...

epackage
04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
As a seller I always overestimate the weight for shipping, it gets me some of the cost back from the fees I pay. On heavy items you can add extra pounds without any issue I find....

ironmountain
04-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I do the same thing with shipping. Shipping materials/ink/paper/gas add up after awhile.

ironmountain
04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
hopefully we've taken the hassle out of some of the shipping pains. We setup an endicia account. volume is high enough now to justify it. We do quite a bit of international business and not having to fill out 20 customs forms by hand is nice. going to at least give it a month to test it out.

AlexD
04-13-2013, 06:04 PM
That is the most perfect list. LOL [:D]

root beer madness
04-18-2013, 02:02 AM
I have many. One that is always at the top of my list is no running balance on your account like there used to be. I like to see what my current balance is after every transaction. The way it is now is impossible to follow.