PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Of Tar

rpinkham
02-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Here's a pretty old guy purchased from baltbottles some time ago. Kind of snowed in today and playing with the camera. Also noticed no other posts in 'pontils only'? Guess not too many survived 'consumption'. Drinking compound syrup of tar sounds like a last resort. Syrup of tar? yuck!

rpinkham
02-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Tried to capture sort of a slump in the glass closer to the base. Too hot in the annealing oven that day? Seems the embossing is weaker nearer the neck. Anyway, its a cool little bottle. Thanks for checking it out!

cacarpetbagger
02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Cool pontil for sure, I like looking at the early stuff.

sandchip
02-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Great bottle. I've always liked those.

rpinkham
02-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Kind of wondering if the slumpy sides are an annealing effect or mold issue? Noticed similar issues with the vet med posted here recently. And did people drink this crap or smear it on themselves or what.

cowseatmaize
02-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi, the mold was made correctly but the blow probably wasn't finished or it smooshed a bit when the punty was attached for applying the lip. I suspect the latter but pictures aren't always enough for me.I doubt it was the annealing.

rpinkham
02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Hi, the mold was made correctly but the blow probably wasn't finished or it smooshed a bit when the punty was attached for applying the lip. I suspect the latter but pictures aren't always enough for me.I doubt it was the annealing.

Thanks Eric! That would not have occurred to me. After taking a close look it seems rather obvious!