PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to the early glass posts?

earlyglasscollector
05-30-2014, 04:07 AM
I know I've been away for a few months, but I had a huge suprise when I came back and found significantly fewer posts generally on this forum and equally very few for earlyglass/pontils etc. Is the forum suffering from the facebook forums? www.earlyglass.com (http://www.earlyglass.com)

cowseatmaize
05-30-2014, 04:21 AM
A lot of old members did go to facebook or other more local or specific forums Mark. Some just left for loss of interest. Some have had health and or financial problems and some passed away also. Surfaceone was quite recent on the last part.There is also a thing here that makes replying after 2 months have gone by not possible, some security sort of thing, IDK.Anyway, how are you?

earlyglasscollector
05-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Hello Eric, good to hear from you certainly.Yes I have had personal experience of various friends going to that big bottledump in the sky recently...:(....one particular friend from Canada I shall particularly miss our morning email chats....but that's life...or rather thats......well you know what I mean!I shall see if I can get this section moving again. I am going on the facebook forums myself, and there is a good instancy with those, but I find you tend to get the same certain people on these things, some all on one and others on something else, so I thought I' pick up here again and see what happens with the guys on here. Will go off and load up some images and get back here... regardsww.earlyglass.comp.s, yes I do believe this new look forum didn't help. I'm sure it all works much better and avoids certain potentia problems, but people get used to something and hate to have it changed...

AlleganyDigger
06-01-2014, 08:56 PM
A call for early glass I see.Well then, I guess I'll start off with a bottle that just might make you Lockport green with envy.[attachment=GWmerchant.JPG] With what I believe to be a crudely applied top. [attachment=GWtop.JPG] "GW MERCHANT LOCKPORT N.Y."It's in great condition. [attachment=GWopenpontil.JPG] It ranks in the top five bottles of my collection.RJ

Road Dog
06-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Purty Merchant. I collect alot of different things. In to the arrowhead mode right now. So, I've been a bit slack.

antlerman23
06-04-2014, 11:56 PM
That's a beauty! ill throw my own early early glass up. its what I believe to be a 1790-1810 very late mallet form. I know its early because of the crude lip and base. correct me if im wrong on the date, but I think I am pretty spot on (theres the german in me[:D]). it loses a lot of crudity in those pictures. It is actually really uneven and stuff

earlyglasscollector
06-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Ok, here's a recent trade...a really nice attractive honest shaft and globe with no issues whatsoever and a good aged patina...https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/nightdes/N0514SHAFTANGLOBEPATINAX_zps42c23f8c.jpg

earlyglasscollector
06-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Then I have another even earlier, just about the earliest form I've seen other than the very earliest short necked versions which are incredibly rare... bt this one with a super "top hat" format of very low stringrim and good "eggshape" body. It unfortunately has a restored portion to the back and base, but displays beautifully....:) https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/nightdes/N05141650SHAFTANDGLOBEX_zps6f351c54.jpg

AlleganyDigger
06-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Wow!Are those circa 1650 - 1750?

AlleganyDigger
06-05-2014, 10:14 PM
antlerman, wicked cool bottle.

antlerman23
06-06-2014, 12:38 AM
thanks man! its the oldest bottle I own by 40 years or so [:)]I am trying to sell it though, it just doesn't go with the collection

Bass Assassin
06-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Very nice early glass everyone...jeez... Only in dreans will i ever find anything like this.

earlyglasscollector
06-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Very nice early glass everyone...jeez... Only in dreans will i ever find anything like this.

I'm the same, only in my dreams would I ever FIND anything like I sell. I have to buy and sell everything, and that is the unfortunate bit - having to sell even the very nice bits. BUT at least I CAN buy some of these things in knowing that I will get that money back, and I can therefore enjoy some amazing things for a few weeks atleast, and maybe longer....:) www.earlyglass.com

RED Matthews
07-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Antlerman23 You indicated you want to sell your bottle shown above. I am interested = so let me know what you want for it. RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>.

RED Matthews
01-03-2015, 02:16 PM
So no word has been received. Must be it is no longer for sale. RED M.

RED Matthews
02-07-2015, 02:38 PM
This is to ask antlerman a question. From the picture IMG 1236; I have to assume that this is a turn molded bottle; because of the left angular mark under the finish. So are there no mold seams showing on the glass? If there are not any, I would like to borrow or buy the bottle, because I am trying to put together a blog on this bottle making maneuver. RED Matthews

sandchip
02-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Looks like it was blown in a dip mold to me.

RED Matthews
05-01-2015, 01:58 PM
So sandchip, If is a shaft and globe - I don't think they made them in a dip mold. I am not sure about that, because I haven't gotten a hold of one to study. I have done a lot of study of the three mold system where the bottom of the bottle was blown in a dip mold with two shoulder mold parts to be opened for the lift out. Some ot those were also turned in the mold, if there was no embossing. The interesting thing there is the fact that the dip mold bottom part casting could not be chilled in the casting process, so the glass in that area will have dense thickness patches - which is cold mold ripple from the excessive heat removal from the glass. Chilling the iron mold parts, creates a slower heat extraction in the iron, and creates a tighter iron casting that creates a more even glass thickness in the bottle glass material.RED M.

Harry Pristis
12-13-2015, 05:16 PM
That's a beauty! ill throw my own early early glass up. its what I believe to be a 1790-1810 very late mallet form. I know its early because of the crude lip and base. correct me if im wrong on the date, but I think I am pretty spot on (theres the german in me[:D]). it loses a lot of crudity in those pictures. It is actually really uneven and stuff

What a great lip on that black bottle, antlerman! Roger Dumbrell ("Understanding Antique Wine Bottles") would call that a "tall cylinder." I think your dating is about right.

Here's Dumbrell's schema for distinguishing mallets from cylinders, illustrated from my collection:

167564 167565