PDA

View Full Version : Pontil black glass !

goodman1966
10-14-2014, 06:54 PM
This one is a little out if my range of knowledge. I know the basics, but that's about it. Any help with age or origin would be appreciated. Nice jagged pontil. String lip ? 9 & 3/4 inches tall. 3 inches across base. Corked and contents ![attachment=image(XC).jpg]
[attachment=image.jpg]
[attachment=image(RF).jpg]

goodman1966
10-14-2014, 06:55 PM
More pics
[attachment=image(RL).jpg]
[attachment=image.jpg]

goodman1966
10-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Last ones. Last pic is a tool mark at heel.[attachment=image(XI).jpg]
[attachment=image.jpg]

fer_de_lance
10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
My guess would be early 1800's French wine.It would be a fine example for a wine bottle time line if you putting one together . I've seen those button like tool marks but don't know anything about them as my main focus has been on earlier forms.
Tim

goodman1966
10-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks Tim. Couple more questions, leave as is or empty the contents ? I'm leaning towards removing the contents to show the color better. If that won't affect the value too much. Don't want to ruin it. Mitch

CanadianBottles
10-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Isn't really old wine like that sometimes incredibly valuable? Though I guess you would probably have to know what it is, just selling it as "probably wine, extremely old" might not work too well. I'd leave the contents until you're sure though, I mean you never know.

earlyglasscollector
10-15-2014, 03:57 AM
Oh please don't ever remove any original contents! The bottle is French or possibly Belgian, c1770-1790, freeblown, blowpipe pontil, classic wine bottle for that era and place (that base edge mark is just a random manufacture aspect, not anything specifically caused by pontil tools or anything). it looks a good example, but as these are still relatively available, one with original contents and still corked properly is of much more interest than a super clean sterilised one that shines brightly in a window display. This on still has it's history so please keep it that way. Look carefully if there is not any impression on any wax on top of the seal, sometimes hidden under the accumulated dust/grime. Also check the cork is in good condition, and preferably this should be stored lying down so that the cork doesn't dry out and shrink.www.earlyglass.com (http://www.earlyglass.com) Facebook group: Earlyglass for sale & show

goodman1966
10-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info Mark, it is much appreciated ! I will leave it as is. Any ideas on how to clean the top of the cork ? And normally I don't ask about value, but this is the oldest bottle I own so I would like to know what it's worth. Just it case I find something similar again:). Mitch

dw3000
10-15-2014, 09:00 PM
I'd estimate it's worth around $50-$75 empty. With the contents, perhaps more.

goodman1966
10-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Very cool, thank you Dan ! Cleaned the top of the cork, just water and a soft toothbrush, can't really tell anything. Pic[attachment=image.jpg]

earlyglasscollector
10-16-2014, 03:49 AM
Cleaning the cork depends a little on where it has been kept. Obviously a slightly stiff paintbrush to remove the dry dust and earthy deposits. Some bluetak may remove some further detritus. But it depends very much what there is covering the cork. I can only suggest experimenting carefully with a damp slightly stiff paintbrush to see if that softens any hard soil, but when you are down to either traces of resin or wax, or esle the plain cork obviously you stop, let it dry out and then seal that cork and lip with something like PVA don in several coats to preserve the cork and moisture within.www.earlyglass.com (http://www.earlyglass.com) Facebook group: Earlyglass for sale & show

earlyglasscollector
10-16-2014, 03:54 AM
ah sorry too late, lft this on my laptop overnight and can see now you have managed to clean it ok. Yes I would recommend now you seal it with some pva to keep the moisture in etc. Yes value as dw3000 says, and certainly more from the right market with contents. This could easily be double or more that if you find a wine enthusiast who fancies the idea of having a wine bottle with contents that old.Equally be aware some bottle collectors looking for one of these bottles might actually prefer to have one without the contents "so they can see how pretty the glass is" sort of thing...but I know which I'd prefer!

RED Matthews
11-28-2014, 05:42 PM
I like it the way it is. I have a lot of old bottles, but not one like that. When you say string lip are you implying applied glass - then the question is was it tooled? RED M.

Bass Assassin
11-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Hey Mitch. That one is old! Nice bottle to add to any collection.

RED Matthews
11-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Well I guess this where I need to be. The heading box never showed up on the forum entry start. RED M.

RED Matthews
12-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Hello Mitch, I think I used to call on a glass factory in Shreeveport, years ago. I have severall black glass bottles but not one like yours. If you sell it I probably couldn't afford it. I worked in the glass making world for over 37 years and collected glass for 77 years - and concentrated mainly on the mouth blown glass only. I even have an old iron blow pipe hanging on the wall here in my bottle den. I would like to know more about the tool mark you have referred to - because I don't know what kind of tool was used to make the mark - or what the reason was for making the mark with what ever they were trying to accomplish. Please show me more detail = or sketch it out. It could have come from the boy that carried it to the annealing furnace. I like the string finish - and don't have one like that. Was it string applied and tooled? I checked it out and your is a lot different than my 85 years. I will be checking a couple books on early glass today to see if I can find any reference to the bottle you have. Will get back to you if I find anything. It is a great hobby - but my only interest is is the hand made glass. It that study that I have done - I am guessing - I have collected nearly 2000 items so far. My better half thinks I am goofy. So that is OK too. RED Matthews E-mail <bottlemysteries@yahoo,com>

goodman1966
12-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi Red, that was probably Libbey Glass here in Shreveport. As far as the tool mark, I think you may be right about some tool being used too carry it. Yes that is an applied string lip, very uneven. At this time it is not for sale, but you will be the first to know if it is. Mitch

RED Matthews
12-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks Mitch; I just saved some pictures of your bottle. I think they might have made that mark moving the glass to the annealing furnace. It is a neat old bottle - that is for sure. I have a lot of old glass, but my main interest has always been the hand blown glass. My collecting started with a 1/2 pint milk bottle from a curious visit to a neighbors farm where he had about twenty cows. He wondered who I was - and I told hem. I also told him about how I couldn't learn how to milk a cow, and he showed me through his barn and dairy operations. I never did learn how to milk a cow, because if I had learned - my Dad would have had me doing it to two cows - twice a day. I was too smart to learn how! Thanks for your reply.RED Matthews

RED Matthews
12-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Mitch, I liked the off center pontil mark also. It was a neat round tipped tool, and I don't think I have a pontil mark like that on any other bottle. Haste put the pontil on the job. RED M.

RED Matthews
12-06-2014, 04:48 PM
HI back, i STILL like it. RED M. <bottlemmysteries@yahoo.com>