PDA

View Full Version : historical flask

bottlenutboy
11-10-2006, 12:31 AM
is this real or fake? how do i tell? it has a real pontil and sheared and tooled lip it looks old to me but i dont know how to tell i dont think its clevengers it doesnt have any embossing on it at all i have seen one like it but it was just a picture and was a different color so i dont know here i am

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/6955/3C48E762CD324E7E8A3B0429B5C6678D.jpg

bottlenutboy
11-10-2006, 12:32 AM
here is the side

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/6955/9465B7B276834DCEB43D5C20F03E6BA0.jpg

bottlenutboy
11-10-2006, 12:34 AM
here is the pontil mark in the middle picture you can see the seam stop at the shoulder it was made using old methods atleast i hope you guys can help me

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/6955/97DB229397A6407EA4459A3B72583BFE.jpg

Flaschenjager
11-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Hi Spencer -
MOMA (Museum Of Modern Art) put some of these out in various colors. Some will have stickers stating such, others won't. The true Stiegel blown flask, which I think these are formed to look like, will look different. I think there is an example, on one cover of the Stiegel books, which I don't have, in amethyst. The embossing will not be as sharp and sort of fade into the glass more.

I am in no way saying this is this or that, just making some comments of what I have seen. Hopefully, someone who has handled these more will reply.

bottlenutboy
11-10-2006, 12:59 AM
i hope so too i am leaning toward repro i got it at a antique store for 2.95 i kow they didnt know it was a bottle i think they thought it was a ugly vase it sort of looks like a vase thats funny pretty bottle but ugly vase lol maybe someone will let me know something a little more definitive

bottlenutboy
11-10-2006, 01:05 AM
if this is one of those MOMA repro's what is the age on one of these? and of course value?

capsoda
11-10-2006, 01:28 AM
2.95 is pretty good for a MOMA replica. you don't see them very often anymore. The last one I saw on Ebay went for 25 bucks.

bottlenutboy
11-10-2006, 04:40 AM
well if it is atleast i didnt get had maybe its real but i think it is a fake

zanes_antiques
11-10-2006, 07:18 AM
How can ya go wrong for $2.95? That's a gallon of gas.The first thing I look at if I don't know something's age is wear on movable and use areas. On Gassware first thing I look at is the base. It can be faked but the more you see the easier it is to see less than normal wear. If you look at something that's supposed to be 150 years old it will have base wear even if it wasn't used very often. If it doesn't have any then really question it. My two cents worth.

bottlenutboy
11-10-2006, 09:45 PM
well your right i dont think i went wrong although it would be really nice if it were authentic here 2.95 is actually about 1 1/2 gallons

whiskeyman
01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Most Metropolitan Museum of Art reproductions have MMA etched on the base.
Clevenger reproduced this flask, but the example I have has a smooth base....no pontil. It is possibly an earlier Clevenger piece, as those did often have a pontil. Examples I have have a smaller pontil than the one shown above. I saw a flask similar to this sell on eBay for a couple/several (???) hundred dollars. It was described as a poison flask.

BRIAN S.
01-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Welcome back Charlie !
Haven't seen you in awhile . I have been checking out your website from time to time . Looks great and with some great info.
Brian

bottlenutboy
01-24-2007, 01:28 AM
dont clevenger's have a CB embossed somewhere on them? i think they are supposed to and the clevenger brothers repro's of this one i have seen are all a sapphire blue color but i dont know alot about repro's of any kind except i can spot the machine made ones.

whiskeyman
01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the welcome BRIAN....good ta seeya. Thanks for the compliments about my site too...It's partially ta blame for my extended absence...

BOTTLENUTBOY: In the beginning, Clevenger didn't mark their early wares...Later they used a paper label. I think it was in the 80's they additionally began putting a CB somewhere on the bottle, usually on the base, but some Booze cabins have it on the front side. (seems people were removing the labels and selling them as authentic ).

Has your flask got any noticeable base wear or any other indications it was used...like inner water stains, small scuffs or scratches ?? Sometimes one has to hold the item in question in his hand to and eyeball it closely in order to make a better judgement. Pictures aren't always helpful in these circumstances..

cc6pack
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Whis

good to see ya back, watcha been up to?

capsoda
01-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Charlie, You been hangin around with those bikini biker chicks again.[;)]

Good to here from ya.

bottlenutboy
01-25-2007, 11:23 PM
yea it has some sort of white residual substance about an inch and a half from the bottom of the neck and some rust(?) stains on the bottom

southern Maine diver
01-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey Cap, you're right!!! The last time we saw Charlie he was talking about "applied lips, nice bottoms, good color, well formed necks, super front panels, ladies legs etc" and he was posing on his Harley with a group of cheerleaders in bikinis!!![:o]

Talk about riding off into the sunset...[8D]

Nice to see you back Whiskeyman!

Wayne

whiskeyman
01-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey DENNIS, WARREN & WAYNE...Thanks for the welcoming party. Heheh...Good to "see" you guys too. As for the biker chicks, they dumped me off in Texas after confiscating all my $$$. Took me this long ta get back home and "wow", was the wife peeved !!! ( Imagine that).
She's letting me live in the storage shed presently and feeds me along with the dogs. Them l'il rascals will nip ya when ya try to eat,too. I have ta snatch a bite and run over to another corner of the yard to chew it.
But it's all not bad news: I just have to stay out here a couple more months , then the wife's gonna let me move to the back porch.