PDA

View Full Version : Alright Planters Peanut people...real or repro?

ncbred77
03-27-2007, 08:05 PM
This was a christmas gift. I was told that the original jars never came in any color besides clear. Just wondering if its a repro or the real deal. I'll love it either way.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/upfiles/7745/7A3046FCF309495EAD609FD1A730160A.jpg

GuntherHess
03-27-2007, 08:18 PM
I've only ever seen clear ones.

NYCFlasks
03-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I have an original Planters Pennent Brand jar, with labels and peanut lid, and it is clear. While not a Planters expert, the color of your jar says to me it is fairly recent in manufacture. Now, if I could just figure out how to use the digital camera, I could even post you a pic of the jar. Someday I will learn....

newtothebottleworld
03-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry.I had made a comment about these jars,but i was thinking about a different jar.So i edited the message and deleted what i had first said.

capsoda
03-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Repop or not it is very cool.

zanes_antiques
03-28-2007, 12:37 AM
My dad has a clear one that is real. I thought I could dig out some pics but I can't find them. I'll have to loo later. I know his doesn't have the Peanut Finial.

bubbas dad
03-28-2007, 04:05 AM
very nice. it reminds me of the cracker jars that were in the general store near my grandparents house. they had a lance one on one counter and a toms on the other. they're hard to find and cost a pretty penny.

ncbred77
03-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I've been informed by a planters collector that it is indeed a repro. All the original Planters Pennant Peanut jars were clear. Did find out the repro is still around 30 years old. Still a great looking piece.

whiskeyman
03-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I first saw these reproes back in the late 70's. They also came in cobalt blue...and perhaps amethyst. One still surfaces from time to time in a shoppe or at the Flea...with some outrageous $$$ amount.
It's attractive, well-made, and "aged" enough to have collector appeal & value and most likely will increase in value much like the repro 1858 jars from the 70s....
Whatever you do - take care of that lid. It's about half the value on older jars, and the jars are hard to sell without a lid or, with a damaged lid.

campdumpdigger
11-15-2008, 07:22 AM
I've got one of the blue jars - thanks for the original/repro info. I bought mine around '89 or so and at the time I had to choose between a blue one and a pink one, so now we know they came in a few colors more than just clear repros.

I put a crack in mine washing it - the glass is so thin that when I reached for the faucet I bumped the cold by accident and pffffft up the side[:@]. Man, I hate when that happens!

glass man
11-15-2008, 11:03 AM
ORIGINAL: bubbas dad

very nice. it reminds me of the cracker jars that were in the general store near my grandparents house. they had a lance one on one counter and a toms on the other. they're hard to find and cost a pretty penny.
A GUY THAT CLOSED HIS BUSINESS HERE A FEW YEARS AGO HAD A WHOLE 'LANCE" RACK WITH JARS ,ADVERTIZING ON IT ETC.IT WAS STILL IN USE.HE HAD IT FOR YEARS,DIDN'T COLLECT THEM. WOULDN'T PART WITH IT THOUGH,AS HE KNEW IT WAS A GOOD THING!

Clam
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
I just saw one of these at a auction on tue 12/30 and it went for $17 the glass had a very pink hue to it.

casperwhiskey
01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Fantasy Piece!!!! Never existed

div2roty
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
It is a repro, they also made clear, so don't just assume because its clear that its old. I think there is a difference between the planters figures, with the repro either being fatter or skinnier.