Norwich Poison

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
I had a friend in the store today who dug a 7 1/2" tall amber Norwich coffin poison bottle.
I wish I had my camera so that I could have taken a picture of it before he sells it.
He has been offered $5,000.00 US for it by a leading Poison collector.
I guess it is so rare that it has only been reported but not seen by many Poison bottle collectors.
It has the raised diamonds on the glass, typical of Norwich Poisons, and it is embossed Poison on the front and the back. Rolled lip, circa 1880-1900.
It is also embossed Norwich on the bottom of the bottle.
He's only been digging for 3 months.
Go figure!!!
He wants to sell it but is hesitant about getting the maximum dollar amount for it.
I told him that whatever he gets from it will be pure profit, other than the time you put into finding it.
I'll keep you updated to see what he finally gets for it.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Wow,what a great find.Thats whats great about this hobby,you just never know whatll' pop up.A friend of mine just starting out,dug an awesome,crude teepee mineralwater- apparently only one other one known.Norwich-is that U.S?

diggerjeff

Reaction score
woody-- please try to get us a pic of the bottle. it would be the first and only time most of us would ever get to see such a rare poison. talk about beginners luck!! i wonder if i quit and start over , if i could have this kind of luck. wow!!

woody

Reaction score
I'll try to get a picture, Jeff, so that I can show all the forum members such a rare find.
What luck.
I believe Norwich would be in either Conneticut or New York. I'm not sure.
I kick myself for not having my digital camera with me but I didn't know he was going to show up at my workplace.
He had it all wrapped up in a towel so it wouldn't get damaged.
I'll do my best to get a picture before he sells it.

woody

Reaction score
Oh, he also had an eight sided aqua Carter's Indelible ink embossed on the panels that was blown in a mold, smooth base. 1 1/4" tall, cylindrical shaped.
I've never seen that one before.

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Congratulations to your friend! Hope we do get to see a picture.
Norwich Pharmaceuticals is located in Norwich, NY, company goes back to 1887. Wonder what its original contents were.

ncpoisonman

Reaction score
Corrected. I signed up and mispelled poison. This will be my nick name from now one.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forum ncpoisonman, eh er, NCPOISIONMAN[8D] Yep, that's your tag now![:)], but hey, it has a certain flair. You'll find this bunch of bottle afficiandos to be the most informed and friendliest group of people to be found on the web! Great poisons, poision! Can't wait to see what else you have to share with us!

woody

Reaction score
Yes, NCPOISONMAN, his poison is exactly the same as the one you have pictured.
He turned down an offer of $5,000.00 for it and he has been told by Norm Heckler and Jim Hagenbuch that it would go in the $7,000.00-9,000.00 range at auction.
I hope this helps to determine what yours is worth.
He found it in Concord, New Hampshire.

ncpoisonman

Reaction score
Both of the 7 1/2 inch amber coffins will be on display at the Memphis Expo this weekend. As a matter of fact all three sizes of the amber and cobalt coffins will be on display as well as a cobalt crystal coffin with label. If you make it too the show drop by and take a look. They will be displayed on our table. Good bottle hunting too everyone and we will see you in Memphis!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora