Purple or SCA glass is pre 1915?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi all,

Many times I've heard people say that SCA or purple glass is pre 1915 or WWI, as manganese (used as a decolorizer) became difficult to obtain. Then Selenium was used as a decolorizer. Generally, this is true, but certainly not ALL purple glass is pre WWI. ANY age glass that contains manganese will turn purple when irradiated or exposed to intense UV or prolonged sunlight.

Here are two examples, from 2 different companies, made between 1942-1960:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300101812390

Bob

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
You seen this one ? Cripes....[:eek:]
Gorgeous ANTIQUE XTREME PURPLE ATLAS E-Z SEAL fruit jar
s.gif

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BOB...wanted ta add: If it hadn't been for your ME page, I'd have gotten taken on an amber 1858 pint...Guy had an amethyst pint and a red 1/2 gallon, ( which I knew were reproes), but the amber almost fooled me. Thanks a bunch !!

bobclay

Reaction score
I'm glad the ME page is still helping people. I know a couple of the links aren't working right now because the fruitjars.com site has been down. Eventually I'll get the stuff moved over to my own space. But the link for these new repros has been moved, so it works, and glad it does! [;)]

Regarding the purple jars, irradiating glass is not new. I first saw a nuked jar in the late 1970s. It was a quart Ball Ideal shown at the Indianapolis Show in a yucky 'raisin brown' as the owners called it. And as more and better ways were discovered, more and more nuked jars began showing up.

I've seen the nuked jars sell for several hundred dollars too. People just don't understand that many more can be produced in a matter of only a few minutes. I do have to admit however, I like the dark purple ones. I think they are really pretty and look just great in a window. And they are worth whatever an individual is willing to pay. But when they are advertised or sold as, as being a rare and natural occurring color, to me that is misrepresentation.

As long as people will pay any kind of premium for one of these irradiated jars, the 'cookers' will continue producing them. All we can do is be aware of what is, and what is not, natural.

Bob

capsoda

Reaction score
There are alot of glass items made that will turn. Five years ago I put up a new outside light and it turned a nice SCA. It was made in China. I have since replaced it but I kept the glass part.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown