JOEL....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
Sounds llike you are talking steriodal therapy. Short term at best.

I had better than a week of intravenous steroids for the cancer. Helped to blast the tumor but killed my left hip. Now they want to replace that. Talk to the Doc about the affects of of steroidal use on your bones.

Then, take a shot and get up here and dig.

Joel

epgorge

Reaction score
Wow, I wish I knew all that. I had C-5 and 6 fused about 10 years ago, through the throat. Gruesome adventure. Limited motion but the sharp pains to my fingers have gone. I couldn't even hug my little children, it was so bad.

They literally hyperextended my neck for the six hour operation, by hanging my head off a table. Then they moved all the throat and whatnot to access the cervical spine. Not an easy recovery when I was trying to run a business.

To make matters worst, they pinned it with a shard of bone from my hip. In doing so, they cut a main nerve to my leg and since I have had no felling in the outside of my leg. That took some getting use to.

Now the lower lumbar is gone, the hip is gone too and they keep saying surgery but I keep telling them not yet. [:eek:]
Joel

Joel

LC

Reaction score
I can relate to that as well Joel. I had to have a couple of vertebras fused in my neck two years ago, plus had a bunch of arthritic spurs removed from between the vertebras. They went through from the front of my neck as well, the procedure only took two hours though, not as long as yours did thankfully. I didn't want to have it done, but could not take the pain any longer, and got to where I was unable to even sleep much of the time. Do not have the sharp pains anymore, and I am able to do a bit more than I could before. I also did not have the guts to have a piece of bone removed from my hip. They said it was quite a painful procedure, so I elected a have them use a cadaver bone instead. I never thought in my lifetime I would ever be able to say a had a bone from a dead person put into my neck !! Anyway, still having some problems, was told I may have to have another procedure done later. I am thinking now, I may have been told a fib. The surgeon told me the longest they could stay in was two hours, and that , that is why they could not do any further procedures. You say yours took six hours. Makes me think the surgeon figured he can make another fifteen grand to do the procedure the second time, instead of doing it while they were already in there to begin with. That was just his fee, that was not counting the hospital bill. I lost quite a bit of motion in my neck as well, and do not think I would want to lose anymore than I already have. I still have no feeling in the front side of my neck on the side where they made the incision. They must have cut a couple of nerves or so there apparently. The surgeon told me I was only the second person he has done this procedure to, to have the numbness still in my neck, just my LUCK !![/align]

capsoda

Reaction score
I have been sucesful so far at keeping the VA from mutilating my back and my knees can't be fixed so they say. I think I will ask for knee replacement with the diamond stuff like Hugh Downs.

I Know very well about MRIs. I never could catch the two guys that beat on the tube with the sledge haners though. The first time I went in one I was told that I would hear a slight tapping and then someone fired an M61 A1 20mm gatling gun next to my head.[&:]

epgorge

Reaction score
LC,
My wife tells me it was four hours and that I exagerate. It was ten years ago, after all.

They wanted to do the next one too. I couldn't imagine the loss of motion if I did that. Tough backing up, having to turn around like that. Mine was from an APC wreck I was in during my tour of duty.

My neck is numb too. So is my hip and leg. But, as I said, I can hug my children and turn over in bed without pain. [:)]

Joel

LC

Reaction score
As long as you can hug your Babies and other loved ones, thats all that matters. I do miss that range of motion though. I have a heck of a time trying to turn to look to see if anything is coming when driving. Have to do a little angling with the auto to get eabetter look !

LC

Reaction score
Surgeons have wanted to cut on my low back for years, but I will not go for it. They laugh and say, when it hurts long enough, you will do it. Yeah, right, when pigs fly. I know a fellow that had eighteen surgeries over the years on his low back. Each time they said he would get better, and would have to operate again a short time later. Now they tell him there is no more they can do for him. He has so much scar tissue, he will not even heal anymore. Surgery on the upper back has came a long way over the years, but low back surgery is still more of a risk, and chances are, if they cut once, they will have to cut again some time after, and so on. I have a hard time getting going when I get up, but as long as I can walk, I think I will leave well enough alone when it comes to the low back issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94