Time to buy a probe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David Osborn

Reaction score
I think I was advised to contact another member here a while back about having a probe made for me. Who was the guy, please ? I' m looking for something to help me locate the dumps and private pits here in Omaha. Not ready for privvies yet. After reading O' Dells booklet on it, it sounds like resurfacing my entire yard with new sod would be about as taxing. -Dave.

jaken

Reaction score
I make spring steel probes for folks. Just let me know what the specs are and I will put one together for you and ship it.

IRISH

Reaction score
David,
privvies/dunny holes/cesspits may be hard work but they are very much worth finding [;)] .
Also any welding shop will make up a probe for you if you cannot find anyone in your area, just make sure they weld a " knob" or big ball bearing on the end or you will never get it in or out of firm ground.

jaken

Reaction score
Only problem I' ve found with welding shops is their $65 an hour with 2 hour minimum plus material. Thats why I started making my own and selling 4 footers for $30 plus shipping.

jaken

Reaction score
Probe construction..........

Different folks like different features on their probes. I hunt with a couple guys that use 2" dia. pipe for handles. They swear that they can feel more and the larger pipe is easier on their hands. Personally I like the 1" dia. handle. I can supply either.

Some of my customers want a big blob of weld on the tip, others like the bullet shaped tip like diggerjeff talks about. Personally I like a small collar or steel welded back a couple inches from the tip. This lets you start the probe in the ground easier.

I do my handles differently than most I have seen. For a piece of 3/8" spring steel I drill one side of the handle 3/8" and the other side 5/16" . I then grind a slight taper on the end of the rod. It slides into the handle and the ground tip protrudes through the 5/16 hole. Both are then welded.....if the welds break (which is a very remote possibility) the rod can' t come through the handle and give you a new belly button.

jaken

Reaction score
Thanks diggerjeff,

Anyone who would like to see a picture of my probes can go to: http:www.varelichunter.com and got to the " Spring Steel Probes" page. I have some pictures there of some of my probes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora