Help with a bottle,please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shotzeandsami

Reaction score

Hi,I'm new here.My husband is an avid bottle collector. Recently,I purchased several from a local antique store. The owner of the store bought the contents of an old barn in Key West Florida,this was among them. A clear bottle with script writing on it that says "Lewis 66" ,under this writing,in regular font,it says Strauss Pritz & Co. Distillers,Cincinatti,OH. The seam on the side does not run all the way to the lip. I also purchased a bottle that is believed to be one of the earlier "Codd" bottles. It is Light aqua/clear with a blue marble on the upper chamber. On the bottom chamber it says " Codd's Patent Bottle Extra Strong Glass" It has a raised heart shape under this,that says "Darwin" in the center.But,on the back,it has a label that says "Tested at 150 lbs per sq inch" ,and in the center it says "Mahalakshmi Brand" And the label is red. I don't know if this is a reproduction,although I suspect so,since the label and bottle are both in such good shape. Thanks for any info anyone might have!!

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
Hello Mary

The second bottle is a marble bottle based on the original Codd Patent - it originates from India where marble bottles are still used today for softdrinks. Without a photo it is difficult to ascertain age but probably more recent origin, i.e. last 30-40 years.

Hope this info is of assistance.

Dirranbandi

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Mary,
Your marble bottle is not a repro-Dirranbandi is correct; it is a MODERN indian bottle based on the Codd patent.There's also a Japanese soda called Ramune that is bottled in a Codd based bottle.This link shows an example;

http://www.asiagrocery.com/sodapop.html

I think at the price being paid for those sodas people are hanging on to them as keepsakes![:D] I doubt many people would pay $2 for the empty bottle.[;)]

Hope this helps,

KAT

shotzeandsami

Reaction score
Thanks for the info,this,is NOT the bottle I have,however. The one I has looks more similar,almost to a fish shape,and does NOT have oriental writing on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky