TAYLOR Flask ???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

abclovell

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 1/2 pint Gen. Taylor Never Surrenders and a cannon with cannonballs under it and A Little More Grape Capt Bragg on the reverse with a small bunch of grapes at the bottom...Color is clear with a bluish green tint...I cannot find my glass book anywhere...Would anyone know the reference number for this and the rarity? Thanks in advance!!
Linda in Maine

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Linda in Maine and welcome to the forum !
Could you post some pics of your flask ?
It is most likely a McKearins GX - 6 , But pics would help in identification and authenticity . There are a lot of early reproductions out there !
I am leaving tonight for Memphis and will return in a couple of days . But i'm sure someone on the forum can help you if you can post some pics before I return. Brian

abclovell

Reaction score
I Think I have posted one photo....I will try to post another....

abclovell

Reaction score
flask.jpg

flask2.jpg

flask3.jpg

flask4.jpg

flask5.jpg

flask6.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Ah ha ! We have the pics ! Looks like the real deal to me , a GX-6 I believe ( I don't have my McKearins book readily available to be 100% positive on the mold variant ) in a Greenish Aqua , looks like the embossing is a little weak , it has a nice open pontil on the base .
There have been several that sold at public auction in your coloration, 04/89 NH : $165.00 , 03/92 GW : $ 187.00 . I haven't any info on one selling recently at auction , but I think it would be safe to say the value of yours would be in the $ 200.00 + range if undamaged. Hope this helps , Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Flasks are not my field of expertise and as I said I don't have my McKearins book readily available. So I can't really tell you any other info on the flask ! But , I'm sure there is someone on the forum that has there McKearins that can help with that.
Nice early flask ! Brian

abclovell

Reaction score
Oh Thanks!! I will set a reserve of 200.00....There is a chip out of the inside of the neck with a 1/2" crack at the bottom of it....Would that make much of a difference??
Have a nice trip!
Linda in Maine

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Yes damage always makes a difference in value.
If you got into the flask right then I would set the reserve lower and let the bidders go to work if it is going to ebay. It is my experience that bottles usually bring what they are worth or close to it when auctioned on ebay. Just my opinion ! And good luck with your auction which ever way you decide to go and I hope I could be of help ! Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I went back and looked at your pics and I can't see the crack.....Looks like an open bubble on the inside of the mouth. Is the crack associated with this area of the mouth ?
Brian

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi