Want to Build My Own Tumbler! Please Help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a newcomer to this forum and I must say it is one of the BEST and most INFORMATIVE that I have found!! I've been trying for weeks to come up with a bottle tumbler. I decided to build my own after finding a motor. The motor is 1725 RPM, 5.1 amp, 115 volts. An electrician at work advised me (after doing his gearing down formula) that I need a 24" pulley in order to get it down to 75 RPM. Where am I supposed to get a 24" pulley?!?! Or, I was advised to get two 12" pulleys. Running off a 1" from the motor to the 12" and then to another 12", and then to my axle (rod). I have a wonderful schematic that will enable me to do two bottles at the same time. The Problem is finding the pulleys. I've been to garage sales, flea markets, the internet, electricians, hardware stores...I can't find one anywhere. I think I could find the Holy Grail faster than I can a pulley. So, if there is anyone who can lead me in the direction of two 12" pulleys, I am forever in their gratitude. I have so many milk bottles to clean it's not even funny! Thank you all in advance.

Heath

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Heath,
Welcome to the forum.Had a look in my basement this morning and found a possible source for you.The old fashioned piston-type water(well) and air pumps I have all have pulleys ranging from 8 1/2" to 13 1/2".You might find 12" pulleys as replacement parts for these type of pumps if the cost isn't prohibative.Or fashion them out of 1" plywood with a metal thru-bulkhead fitting and setscrew to fit the motor's driveshaft. Incidently,a 5.1 amp motor is going to be costly to run,not to mention 1725rpm is a bit of overkill.Perhaps your electrician friend can install a rheostat (dimmer switch) to your motor to tone it down a tad.I'm no electrician but I don't think running an electric motor at low rpm shortens it's life as it does an internal combustion engine.Check with your friend.

Hope this helps and good luck!

KAT

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Kat,
I was successful today. I got in touch with the local Grainger Industrial Supply store. They were able to provide me with two 12" pulleys. Couple more pieces and I'm ready to start assembling. I also have to get oxides and cut soem copper. Know anywhere to get oxides? I also hear that you have to add water to the oxide powder before you tumble. Is this true? And if so, how much water do you add? Enough to make it similar to pancake batter? I'll keep posting my progress as it comes together. In regards to my motor's run time being costly...I'm gonna run an extension cord over to the neighbor's outside patio socket. LOL. Talk to you soon.

Heath

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Kelley,
Thank you for the link. However, every time I try to get into that site, I keep getting an error that staes the site is password protected. I already have Adobe but still cannot get in. I sent him an e-mail directly and he got back with me. Supposed to send me a pamphlet on his items and supplies. On a lighter note...I picked up my 12" pulleys today. What a relief to finally have them in my hand. I don't know about others...but I had one heck of a time trying to find them. Now I need to get some pillow blocks that will allow a 5/8" rod to fit. Preferably one with set screws. Maybe sometime after this coming Friday. The wife only allows me to spend so much per week on t his project. LOL. At this rate, I figure it'll be mid December by the time I get it done. Hey...anyone need a Christmas gift? Ha ha ha. God Bless.

Heath

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Heath, I am not familiar with your design but I am puzzeled at the need for two 12" pullys? You are correct that your motor needs to be 1725 rpm. It also needs an internal shut off so as not to overheat and catch something on fire while your asleep![:eek:] You also need to turn rectangle and square bottles at a slower speed than 60 rpm. 45 rpm is a good speed for these. I have taken a couple of pic's of my tumbler in case it might give you some ideas with your design. Best of luck with your project, and Happy Diggin, Kelley[:D]

Ca83031.jpg

Attachments

• Ca83031.jpg
    Ca83031.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 554

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Kelley,
Thank you once again. The idea for two 12" Pulleys came from an electrician at work. He said that in order to gear my motor down to about 75 RPM I would need to run a 1" pulley from the motor to a 12" pulley. Then from the same 12" pulley, add another 1" pulley to the same rod and run that to another 12" pulley. But from looking at your pics, I see that my design is somewhat on the right track. Can you advise me what the pulley sizes are on yours. I see what looks like a 1" pulley on the motor. That in turn goes to a 12" pulley...but what sizes are the other ones? And is that reason why you have two on the same rod for a lower RPM? Which ones, if that is the case, run higher RPM's and lower RPM's? Sorry for all the questions. But I'm glad all this research and help your offering is paying off before I get it built.

Heath

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Heath, my pully sizes are as follows: Motor- 1 1/2" Large pully- 10" The other two sizes are 3 1/2" and 2". Yes that is exactly the reason for 3 pullys on the drive shaft and 2 pullys on the machine shaft. If you turn them with the way mine is set up in the pic, (3 1/2" driving the 2") it will turn the bottles at the higher speed. 2" driving the 3 1/2" will turn slower. Hope this helps and good luck, Kelley

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Kelley,
Thanks again for the advice on those pulley sizes. I really appreciate it. I scored some pillow block bearings the other day. Had a hard time finding them at a good price. Finally found them on eBay. $6.00 apiece. Cast iron housing, 2 set screws and a grease nipple. Here is the site address in case anyone wants it: http://stores.ebay.com/BEARINGS-AND-ROLLER-CHAIN_Pillow-Block-Bearing
The guy you want to talk to, if you e-mail, is Kevin. Let him know what size you want and how many you need. He'll treat you extremely well. Thats all I have for now. Talk to you soon.

Heath

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp