Want to Build My Own Tumbler! Please Help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dpbottleman

Reaction score
I fill my bottle a little over half full of copper pills, add 2 level spoons of tumbling powder, and water until its about 3/4" over the copper. Put bottle in clear canister, add copper to about 1/2 to 3/4 over bottle, add 2 spoons of powder, add water until about 3/4" over copper, and tumble at 55 rpm for 2 days, inspect, and if needs more, tumble for 2 more days. I tuble hutch, twitchell, baltimore loop, and crown tops, and all are from 2 to 4 days. I yuse a rock tumbling powder I get from Ft Worth, Texas for about $5.00 a lb. I DO NOT USE ANY PRE-CLEANING POWDER, JUST THE POLISHING POWDER, AND THE RESULTS ARE FANTASTIC. See pis if it up loads, if not email me and I will send pics, and also give the Co. and ph no where I buy my rock tumbling powder, thanx, Doyle

dpbottleman

Reaction score
P.S. my email is dpbottleman@yahoo.com 2 pics of before and after.

Ro41572.jpg

Attachments

• Ro41572.jpg
    Ro41572.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 140

tombstone

Reaction score
Two twelve inch pulleys off a 1725 rpm motor will turn too slow (if at all). Don't know how your friend calculated but there is a calculator for this at http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html Don't forget the the final calculation, your 5/8 rod driving a 4 inch canister. Tumbler I'm working on uses a 1.5 inch pulley to a 10 inch pulley mounted on a 5/8 drive rod covered by plastic tubing which makes the rod about one inch. It turns an empty 4 inch canister at about 40 rpm. From what I've read here that is a little too fast for the small bottles and a little too slow for the big ones, but that just means it will take a bit longer to get the results i want.

tombstone

Reaction score
I should add that this is my first tumbler, I'd never even heard of one till i read about it on this board a couple months back, so don't take anything I say on the subject as being anything more than my opinion based on limited experience.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu