Doctor Travis fake bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Oh almost forgot three continous left turns at a red traffic light in New Jersey constitutes a right on red.

I just got back from New Jersey today and I swear I find it harder to drive there than I did in England or Australia. You can tell someone put a lot of thought into the road system up there, I just can figure out what they were trying to achieve[:D]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
MATT & STEVE...you're both right on.[/align] [/align]I looked at the ebay ended auction ( 1st link Matt posted), and here's what the seller stated:[/align]"These were made from a special mold provide by a customer who wanted to recreate a vintage bitters bottle. They requested a special order color ( kind of a olive green, not a regular Clevenger color )and an rough pontil. Clevenger thought these were to be sold as reproductions. But what was really happening was that this customer was attempting to pass these off as antiques , advertising that they were found in an old warehouse. Bottle collectors were not fooled, however.
[/align]Actually these were made by the (then ) owner of Clevenger Bros., Jim Travis. [/align]The Bitters were also made in other colors and in clear.[/align]Travis died earlier this year and another eBay seller, GardenchicII, is selling off the old stock stored in Travis' garage. I had posted on this thread about her selling Clevenger Bros. glassware earlier. [/align] [/align]Need to emphasize: one can never know too much about this Hobby, no matter what type bottles you may collect. If an item can be reproduced or faked well enough to fool the unwary, it will be done.[/align] [/align]MATT...heard anything from that seller yet ?[/align]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Yes, the seller took out the antique reference and properly attributed it to Clevenger Bros.

That interesting info, I have only seen them in that green color.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
MATT...you may be correct. I can't find any reference they were made in any other color.
I was thinking I saw a clear one at Baltimore one year, but I may have been mistaken....
Gonna have ta quit relying on my clouded memory...
woe is me........[:(]

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese