"CAMEL JUG???"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gigster

Reaction score
Another one of Dad's bottles. Got it at a flea market many moons ago. The guy he bought it from said it was a "camel jug," used on long caravans. It has an indented bottom. Can anybody verify this? It's a beautiful piece. Gigster

If10886.jpg

Gigster

Reaction score
Thanks woody for the info. Any idea of age, and where I might find out if you don't know?

blueglass1

Reaction score
This is a Late Iranian Period Wine Bottle from either Shiraz,Isfahan or Qumm and dates from 1700-1850
ORIGINAL: Gigster

Another one of Dad's bottles. Got it at a flea market many moons ago. The guy he bought it from said it was a "camel jug," used on long caravans. It has an indented bottom. Can anybody verify this? It's a beautiful piece. Gigster

If10886.jpg

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I was going to link to the posting that we just went through on persian saddle flasks. It's obviously been deleted. It was a less than cordial exchange, although not nearly up to the stuff I see on the pilot forums.

Let's see if I can distill it. Some people think these are flasks made in persia between 1700 and 1850. Some people think these are 20th century mexican junk. There is not a whole lot of dispositive evidence one way or another.

FWIW, I own two of these things, and they both look and feel old to me.

They have been a mystery to bottle collectors for at least 30 years.

Blueglass1 has developed some new information on them that she is willing to share for a nominal fee. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320588711181&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Let the games resume...

Jim G

blueglass1

Reaction score
OK...lets look at it both ways. 1) if we say they are old it is relatively easy to prove it in my opinion simply based on archaeological evidence,old museum relics,bottles with incredibly heavy base wear,impacted dirt,internal stain,surface scratches..etc...I have many specimens in that condition. 2) If we say they are new or relatively new,.... can anyone conclusively name a glasshouse please in Mexico,Africa,Mediterranean, Iran,Afghanistan,USA,?? that is producing them and where can they be bought in quantity.Personally...I do think there is both. I have some waxy specimens...but no one has been able to say where they are or were being made.But it's easy to tell the difference for me.
ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

I was going to link to the posting that we just went through on persian saddle flasks. It's obviously been deleted. It was a less than cordial exchange, although not nearly up to the stuff I see on the pilot forums.

Let's see if I can distill it. Some people think these are flasks made in persia between 1700 and 1850. Some people think these are 20th century mexican junk. There is not a whole lot of dispositive evidence one way or another.

FWIW, I own two of these things, and they both look and feel old to me.

They have been a mystery to bottle collectors for at least 30 years.

Blueglass1 has developed some new information on them that she is willing to share for a nominal fee. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320588711181&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Let the games resume...

Jim G

saratogadriver

Reaction score
This question doesn't actually tell us very much, because no one can name the source of a number of repros and fakes out there. Prime example is that there is a glut right now on the market of odd shaped, half post method bottles. They are rather obviously new, and have been definitely discredited here. But no one knows where they are coming from, be that mexico, or china, or somewhere else, despite being a recent phenomena.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: blueglass1

2) If we say they are new or relatively new,.... can anyone conclusively name a glasshouse please in Mexico,Africa,Mediterranean, Iran,Afghanistan,USA,?? that is producing them and where can they be bought in quantity.Personally

blueglass1

Reaction score
It's OK Mark....don't worry. Like many other things...these bottles will have their time. But for now, our job is to continue collecting and documenting when we can so that these bottle stay preserved and safe for the future.If the general bottle community under-rates them there's no sense in beating a dead horse. Just enjoy them for your own self and recognize that there are people like me who love them and value them highly too. Marlena
ORIGINAL: cryptozoon

Thanks for deleting the entire old thread about this kind of bottle;
did it degenerate so far that nothing there was worth reading?

~Mark

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: blueglass1

This is a Late Iranian Period Wine Bottle from either Shiraz,Isfahan or Qumm and dates from 1700-1850
This doesn't seem possible since cryptozoon said these were NEVER produced after 1700, I did enjoy reading and viewing the stuff you sent me Marlena, thank you again....Jim

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I have cleaned up this thread and the other one...and note: >>
Bottle collectors are a nice bunch of people but in order to prevent others spoiling the fun there are two registration restrictions, email address confirmation is required and acceptance of this agreement.

Neither the Administrators of these forums or the Moderators are responsible for the actions or behaviour of any user.

Remember that all information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to share any of your personal information.

Any user who finds material posted by another user objectionable is encouraged to contact admin@antiquebottles.net.

We are authorized by you to remove or modify any data submitted by you to these forums for any reason.

We will remove links to material that we feel is inappropriate as we become aware of them.

Cookies must be turned on in your browser to participate as a user in these forums. Cookies are used here to hold your username and password and viewing options, allowing you to login.

You also agree that you will not post any copyrighted material that is not owned by yourself or the owner of these forums.

You also agree to seek the permission of the owner and any appropriate Member(s) before reproducing any material on the antique-bottles.net website in any published form.

In your use of these forums, you agree that you will not post any information which is vulgar, harassing, hateful, threatening, defamatory, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, violates any laws or may be construed as spam.

NOTE: An email confirmation will be sent to your email address, you will need this to log on to the forums.

You see the above?
When you joined the Forum this IS what you agreed to abide to : some of you have forgotten this , almost on a daily basis.

I tell you what I'm going to do, being as some of you can't always play nice. From this point onward any post that is not on topic, and is an obvious attempt to shout down or run off the original poster, will be deleted.

Just because you don't like a topic, doesn't mean it is necessary for you to disrupt same and make the thread such a "mess" that a person has to wade through it in order to attempt to read same in a normal manner. Actually, it's not even necessary for you to post , contrary to what you may believe - your presence is not required.

If you think a bottle is junk, keep that opinion to yourself ...ie...not everyone likes the same type(s) of bottles and diversity is what keeps the Hobby interesting and growing.
Obviously folks collect what they like and can reasonably afford.

the other thread about these: >>
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-341920/mpage-2/key-/tm.htm#342439

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky