teeny tiny cellar holes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

batfish

Reaction score
So, I keep finding these teeny tiny cellar holes. I’ve found three of them way out on the hiking trails (since I started looking for bottles, I spend more time looking for straight lines in the forest than I do at the trail, if you know what I mean!).

What are these? They seem way too small to be house foundations, unless the house was a one-room shack (which I suppose is possible). They are all mounded up inside with rock, bricks, and other dreck. They tend to be about 10 feet square, one with a smaller alcove (closet size), and about five feet deep. All are made of un-mortared stone. All have some red brick in the debris, indicating that they had chimneys.

The places where I am finding them is mostly abandoned farmland, long since reclaimed by forest, in southern NH (Auburn, Chester and Londonderry, for you locals!). They are accessed via little known, little used footpaths.

Since, I suppose, these old cellars were dug by hand, I’d guess those that dug them had an interest in making them as small as possible. Could it be that the cellar hole represents but a small portion of the house that once stood over it? Maybe the cellar was under only one part of the house – the rest on a slab or less? Or are these likely something else? What other sort of structure would have a dug foundation? Hmmmmmm….

I’d give you pictures, but my digicam is currently broke.

IRISH

Reaction score
The cellars where not always under the house, sometimes they where behind or next to it, I presume they had a low roof over them. Most cellars that are under old houses where only part of the size of the house, most people probably didn't have much use for a cellar much bigger that what you discribed.
Unless they are foundations for some sort of local industry I can't think of anything else they could be [8|] .

Tandy

Reaction score

Hi Batfish,
Is it possible that the chimneys are part of the answer? Is it possible that the "cellars" were used to produce some sort of oil from the trees, or maybe charcoal? Just a thought.

diginit

Reaction score
Chimneys huh? Could be a smokehouse. Early settlers didn't build large estates. I've found alot of remnants of these on my hikes. one or two room cottages side by side. But then, this is california. Notice the shack to the right. a little smoker.Found a keg of square nails about 50 yards further to the right I got to go dig around this one someday soon.

Ge96275.jpg

Attachments

• Ge96275.jpg
    Ge96275.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 95

Matt in NH

Reaction score
A lot of the really small foundations were made for soldiers posts during the french and indain War, the Rev. war, and even the war of 1812......We have a couple around here.....and thats what they are.....

Matty

batfish

Reaction score
Hey Batfish, Break out the metal detector.

If I only HAD a metal detector! Seriously, I think I need one for these sites. I dug around in the foundation for a bit and found nothing encouraging - just more bricks and rocks. If there is anything at these sites it is buried.

Here is a picture of one of the foundations. Probably useless for identification. These things are clearly real old. Their former shape (a square I presume) is now barely recognizable.

Tr50333.jpg

Attachments

• Tr50333.jpg
    Tr50333.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 109

woody

Reaction score
What I try to look for is the dump that the old house used.
Most of the time digging a foundation doesn't produce much more than broken or burned glass.
There are some exceptions, though, where someone used the foundation as a dump.
Then you might have a chance being productive.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown