Sales Tax Scam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I ran into this one the other day on eBay. Purchased a bottle from a fellow, out of state. He included sales tax in the amount due. What tipped me off is that he had the WRONG percentage. I snooped around, and it seems he is collecting at a rate of 6% from all 50 states, and I know that not all states have a sales tax, and not all states that have it are at a 6% rate.
So I inquired about it, and he told me that his accountant told him to, as one day all sales over the internet will have to be taxed by a national sales tax, but since I asked him about it, he offered to send me 2.00 as a refund. Funny thing is, I did not ask about a refund.
Seems very odd to me to collect a national sales tax that does not exist yet.
I figure that he is using this to recoup his eBay fees.
While the amount of money involved is not great, in my case it was under 2.00, I would urge you to understand your states sales tax regulations as they apply to mail order purchases, and to know your rates, as what started this was his using the wrong rate for my state.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That sounds like a dangerous way to eek out a few extra bucks on fleabay. He should just charge outrageous shipping fees like everyone else.

Jim

Reaction score
This guy should fire his "accountant". By law, he is only required to collect and pay sales tax on items that he sells to buyers within his own state. That means he is simply pocketing the 6% for all sales to the other 49 states [&:]. ~Jim

bamascavenger

Reaction score
Just wondering, Did you actually think he was going to send your state the sales tax revenue and report his sales to the IRS? Pocket money to him except for his state maybe. I know my city asks us to report any internet sales, but who or how many actually do? Who really tells the IRS the truth on the 1040? In closing, report the guy to the IRS.....Bet he wished he never collected a red cent after they get through with him! LOL!

carling

Reaction score
I bought off one guy on ebay who charged Ohio sales tax on the final selling price AND charged sales tax on the postal cost. I emailed him and told him the Post Office doesn't charge sales tax on postage when you mail a package and I didn't think he could legally do it either. He emailed back that he worked for the County Auditors Office and they advised him it was proper. It was an insignificant amount, but I find it hard to believe it is legal to be charging tax on Post Office fees ..............

ktbi

Reaction score
All that to make a few extra pennies. It like hotels charging an energy fee, or a recycle fee on new tires, or a lot of the stupid options on new cars that should be part of the purchase price, airport landing fees or fuel surcharges. The list goes on. I'd rather they just roll it all into the price and let the consumer decide.

Unfortunately they can advertise an item as $29.95 to get your attention, tack on the fees and the real price ends up in the $45 range. Sorry - guess I'll get off my soapbox.....Ron

ktbi

Reaction score
Hey Lobey...Of course you were kidding..I'm sure you don't like the extra fees any more than anyone else...sorry for delay in answering..was out of town for a while.....Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky