Bottle Repair

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I have an idea but have no way of trying this. Police use super glue in a a vacuum container of some sorts for analyzing stuff. As you see ive watched a few cop shows lol. But they put superglue in something then vacuum it and the superglue fumes will attach itself across the item. Maybe someone can take this idea and figure away to use this for fixing cracks or atleast prevent them from growing. Im not sure what it will do to the bottle over all but if tried on a junk bottle it wont matter. Well that's my brain fart for today
Brian

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
Hi List

A few years back here in Australia, there was some 'trial and error' work going on with cracked bottles using the Windscreen Repairers techniques for restoring/repairing glass, i.e. vacuum sealing using a resin/epoxy glue. I think the main difficulty was in actually creating a complete vacuum seal unless the bottle had a wide mouth. I haven't heard of anyone trying this for a while, so I guess the experiment was unsuccessful.

There are various glass repair epoxies available from hardware stores and I have seen bottles with chips/nicks repaired using these - after a while though the resins usually change colour and stand out like a sore thumb.

Other techniques I have heard include lacquering although that was more for pitted bottles rather than cracks; other collectors have also soaked bottles in oil or glycerine in an attempt to fill the crack and improve its appearance on display. But most of these techniques only temporarily hide the damage.

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

bearswede

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with casting resin... You buy the resin and a "fixing" liquid and some dyes... Mix the resin with a few drops of the dyes to get aqua, emerald green or amber as close to the bottle's color as you can get... Then you add some fixer. I've been using scotch tape to create a mold... This works best with chips around the lips or the base... Sometimes it takes several applications to get it right...

I've done a decent repair on the thin flared lip of a Shaker Valarian bottle... Also, a flat nickel-sized chip on the base of a Hasken's Spring mineral water...

The bottles display great, but so far they still prove hard to sell...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi