EPOXY FAKE EMBOSSING

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Haven't seen this covered yet on the Forum, so figgered I'd bring it up. Back a few years ago, some knowledgeable Western collectors were duped into buying altered pumpkinseed flasks.[/align]The alteration was so well done as to be nearly indetectable. [/align]The perpetrator(s) used mainly plain flasks with the embossed slug plate circles. They made a (possibly) rubber mold from an original embossed flask. They poured clear epoxy-resin in the mold and after it set, they glued it in place within the slug plate circle.[/align]Collectors paid hundreds of dollars for these fakes, believing them to be authentic.[/align]I don't know who discovered that the flasks were an alteration, but there were quite a few irate collectors. I believe most, if not all , got their money back after confronting the perpetrator(s).[/align]The flask below is an example a friend of mine made a few years ago. I imagine he is more adept at it now and that perhaps others have figured out how to do this as well. [/align]The flask pictured is comprised of resin letters on an ABM Warranted Flask , and the letters were later painted with white enamel, a common practice, which also serves to hide their composition - non glass. [/align]The original of this flask is a "Store Bottle"....a BIM rectangular shape and the last one sold for over $125.00.[/align]Any novice collector would be fooled by this example. More knowing collectors would not.[/align]Upon close scrutiny , the edge of the resin can be seen, as there was no slug plate area to enclose it within and thus hide the edge. Additionally- as I stated above - the bottle shape & age itself is wrong.[/align]So, before you purchase that rare bottle for a cheap price...take time to examine it closely....if it's too good to be true - it usually is.[/align]Caveat emptor..."let the buyer beware"[/align]

57EAB6DB58CA4851A6B6C1DB5256DEDC.jpg

Attachments

• 57EAB6DB58CA4851A6B6C1DB5256DEDC.jpg
    57EAB6DB58CA4851A6B6C1DB5256DEDC.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 156

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I have heard of this being done before Charlie . And painting the letters with white paint would also hide the epoxy from being picked up by using a black light .
Thanks for sharing the info !

capsoda

Reaction score
Haven't come across that yet. I have seen a few I. T. (Indian Terretory) hutches that were later hutches with the I.T. added. They were done a while back and the buyer watched the added letters yellow. He bought them at a flea market out west and thought they were a great deal. Some of the resins that are made today don't yellow so like you said Charlie, Caveat Emptor.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The big scam with coins on ebay now is to cut mint marks off common coins and fuse them onto other coins to make valuable looking ones. Sort of the same scam as adding I.T. to a hutch.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I recall another such alteration that used to be done, and probably still is:[/align]Grinding the Fed Law Forbids off of whiskey bottles/flasks , polishing the ground area, and passing them off as Pre-Prohibition.[/align]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I saw a nice Strawberry puce Drake's that someone ground and polished the date off of ..... what a shame .... they ruined a mint bottle !
I don't know what they had in mind for it .

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BRIAN...does seem most odd.
Isn't there a Drakes variant sans date that has more value??...seems I recall something like that.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora