RARE? 1915 PURPLE AMETHYST COKE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
Zapped Radiated but not the original color they also have the hobbleskirt in Amber which they never were. To each his own but personally I don't like them when they are strange zapped colors. I had a friend come by here with a Purple straight side he wanted $35 for it and I passed.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm confused, I thought the 1915s only came in an ice blue and coke green. How many were clear to get zapped?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
looks like it could have been purpled with a ultraviolet lamp, no way to really tell other than he has a lot purple bottles and some are very dark. He should be stating it in the auction to be honest. Still it seems like that bottle in clear would be pretty rare.

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
Most clear ones are stock bottles with no city name . Stock bottles as a rule do not bring as much money since collectors collect by city/state. He is misleading people to believe that is a real color. The strange amber colors are also listed as rare in hobbleskirt they did not come in any real color other than clear aqua shades and a so called blue tint. But as long as people will take the bait there will be fishers out there remember what ole P.T. said.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Terry, Nuked bottles other than clear that turn purple will have a grayish tone to them and will look sick. In my personal experance I have seen a few different colored Coke Bottles including a two tone blue and green on that Regie Lynch had displayes on his site.

I personally saw an amber, not brown or grayish brown, coke come out of a bottle dump in 1973. It was dug by a good friend and bottle hound, Bill Mathews who passed away many years ago. It was medium amber and had a large X on the bottom. Now I'm not saying it is a production bottle because it is the only one I have ever seen but I doubt that anyone went to all the trouble to reproduce this bottle and bury it 5 or 6 feet in a bottle dump. The bottle now belongs to a guy who is a real Coke nut and has a museum quality and sized collection and thinks everyone is out to steel all his stuff or I would already have taken a pic of it.

As for clear and blue, I have the proof. The clear bottle on the left is a Christmas Coke frome Pensacola, FL. It is really a very light aqua but know as clear.

I don't think all the privys and dumps in the world have been dug yet so I can't say that there aren't other Coke bottles in other colors out there. I have heard tales of 7UP green and honey amber but haven't seen them.

2C6B53C608A942FD93E92E27D863B467.jpg

Attachments

• 2C6B53C608A942FD93E92E27D863B467.jpg
    2C6B53C608A942FD93E92E27D863B467.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: PMR

GuntherHess

Reaction score
He is misleading people to believe that is a real color.

Are you saying the color was something other than a clear bottle (containing manganese) that was turned amethyst using UV light?

digdug

Reaction score
Hey Cap-in Cecil Munsey book from 1972 (Illustrated Guide to Coca-Cola Collectibles) he mentions a brown hobbleskirt used as an experimental bottle. I had never seen one -and still hadn't, but the one that your friend dug up sounds like one, what with the "X" on the bottom, etc. I've seen the brown ones that have been radiadted as well as the purple ones too. An Antique store around me sells them a lot. Someone has taken common Cokes with slight to heavy damage and zaps them to get extra $$$ out of them. Usually has them marked around $20 to $30. And he also does not mention anything about them being altered.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The brown (not inclusing the X one) and really dark amethyst (almost black) skirted cokes were colored by exposure to high energy radioactive sources. These colors could never occur natually (like SCA glass) so I would assume they are fairly worthless to collectors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown