Bottle Bible?``

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's a tough one, it depends on your interests. General or specifics guides are available. You could start with this web site.
BLM Historic Bottle Homepage
Browse that and go to the references page for a list. Bill's most recommended books are in red but those are just the beginning.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.bottlebooks.com/

O'Dell has a pretty nice array of books.
I would steer clear of books like Kovels they tend not to have enough detail to be useful. Like Eric said, figure out what type of bottles you like and get books for that type. There are no good books that cover every type of bottle in one book (bible) in my opinion.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
The real bottle Bible (to me) is American bottle's and Flasks and there Ancestry by Helen Mckearin written in 1978, it is chocked full of info,but there are no prices.but who cares its a good book and it is as thick as the BIBLE. Rick

capsoda

Reaction score
I'd say that the bible for all bottles is a library full of referances. All that have been mentioned are very fine referances and there are many more. Find you nich and focus on books in that area. Some in book form and others on CD and web sites. Find your nich and focus on referances in that area. I use several general referances and many dedicated referances.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have what is known as the "bottle bible". It gives good history of bottles but dont expect to find a very common bottle listed in it. http://www.bottlebible.com/ There is the link for the website.

Polak's book is probably the best generic book out there. A lot of the same info can be found for free on the BLM Historic Bottle Homepage already noted.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The BLM site recommends The Illustrated Guide to Collecting Bottles by Cecil Munsey and I do to. It was my first book and goes into far more info on each type than any of the price guides. Consider that some info may have been corrected over the past almost 40 years but not much.

There was a companion price guide to it too. Outdated now but if you have a pencil that easily fixed by watching ebay.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
wow, Polak's site says they sold 100,000 copies of the 1st two editions!
Generic books really appeal to the masses!!! I'm doing the wrong price guide it seems, stop the the presses... I gots to call me editor....[:D]

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
For us black sheep who worship a different bottle god,our bible is Collecting Applied Color Lable Soda Bottles 3rd edition 1600 pics,dates,city and value,4th edition coming out w/1600 NEW bottles. Like Warren said gotta find your nich.One worthless piece of info. Penn has more different painted lables than any state in the nation. If ya had'em all that would be ONE HELL of a collection. True your not gonna dig'em and might hafta spend some money,but when you have 6-700 painted bottles lined up it looks good.Can ya tell what I collect? ACL or nothing.Latter

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky