Galvanic Pendant - Front Side

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AndyR

Reaction score
Conroe, Texas (but originally Massachusetts)
Hello! This first post on my part is as much as test of how to do it as it is to get an answer, so I hope you' ll bear with me! I long ago acquired a marvelous galvanic pendant for healing on the galvanic principle of electricity. It is made of gutta percha with a copper and zinc inset on one side and a brass loop on the end. It was made by the Pall-Mall Electric Ass' n in London. I am familiar with the line of products by Dr. Scott that are made of the same material and for essentially the same purpose, but I believe those date to the 1870s and 1880s. Based on the winged cherub design and what I THINK is some significant rarity of this piece, I am wondering if it was a decade or two earlier? Does anyone know the years for the Pall-Mall Electric Ass' n and does it have any connection to Dr. Scott?? Thanks for all your help! --Andy [:)]

Ki19643.jpg

Attachments

• Ki19643.jpg
    Ki19643.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 169

AndyR

Reaction score
Conroe, Texas (but originally Massachusetts)
FINALLY - IT' S IDENTIFIED!!!

With the help of a great fellow quack medicine collector, I have learned about this item. So I thought some of you would like to know, too. There is a great full-page ad in the October 30, 1880 issue of Harper' s Weekly for this pice. It has an illustration of the front and back, too. It was called the London Galvanic Generator, but was in fact made by George A. Scott at 842 Broadway, New York. I' m sure many of you have seen other items made by Scott; his most famous seems to have been his electric hair brush. The materials and craftsmanship are very much like this item.

The ad says the front was " handsomely carved 7 resembles a locket or pendant. It is highly polished and made of a beautiful material resembling ebony." The back was supposed to be worn next to the body and " quickly relieves stomach, liver, and kidney complaints. There is no waiting. It acts immediatley." It also was supposed to cure rheumatism, neuralgia, dyspepsia, lumbago, aches and pains, heartburn, flatulency (!), weak stomach, debility, weak back, vertigo, indigestion, and whatever else would react to a jolt of its galvanic electric charge.

Pointing out that Voltaic Batteries had been used to revive people who were thought to be dead, the ad promised that the galvanic generator had been " regulated as to give not the slightest shock or unpleasant feeling. It can be worn night or day, and will retain its power for several years."

All this for $1.00. I paid more for mine, but have been a proud owner nonetheless for over a dozen years! One sold last week on eBay for over $430.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown