Reproductions: Help or Hurt the hobby?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
They help me sometimes. Some bottles I know I'll never have the real thing but a nicely done Clev works fine as a representation and it can be affordable. I wish the early Clevs hadn't gained such popularity, that might be the BOOZ I'd chooz. They're usually up over $100 now. They're also antiques now.

bottleboy311

Reaction score
With any hobby the idea is to get more people interested in the hobby. If more people are collecting the items, those items become more valuable. (Old Economic Supply and Demand Therory.) However, when new collectors see an item, with a book value of $200.00, selling for $75.00, they think the are getting a great deal, so they buy it up. But they do not know it is a repro. When they find out 3 months later that it was a repro, only worth $9.95, sometimes they get turned off and stop collecting. And this loss means less demand for the old items. Furthermore, if the market is flooded with repros, it does do something to the value the original. If someone wants a certain bottle or jar, valued a $200.00, but now can get a knock-off for $10.00 to $15.00, they may not spend that kind of money for the real thing. In these ways I think repros hurt the hobby.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky