Reproductions: Help or Hurt the hobby?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digdug

Reaction score
I saw that Coca-Cola is bringing out a repro Hutchinson bottle for Christmas 2007. It actually has a crown cap and not a stopper.
I know when Coca-Cola has done repro of the Christmas Coke bottle it has caused confusion with collectors and non-collectors. Do you think the repro makes a non-collector take notice, ask questions and becomes interested in collecting? OR does it cause too much confusion among non-collectors and collectors? The repro Hutch will be sold in grocery stores soon.

4A2DAFFAC5094BDE9F54C0B040CBE24F.jpg

Attachments

• 4A2DAFFAC5094BDE9F54C0B040CBE24F.jpg
    4A2DAFFAC5094BDE9F54C0B040CBE24F.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 117

digdug

Reaction score
RE: Reproductions:Help or Hurt the hobby?

I am not sure what is embossed on them. Hadn't found any yet. Here is a photo of one, but can't tell any detail.

154A8E6DFC284B998322EFBCDBCFC40D.jpg

Attachments

• 154A8E6DFC284B998322EFBCDBCFC40D.jpg
    154A8E6DFC284B998322EFBCDBCFC40D.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 109

CrewelaDeVil

Reaction score

Personally, I don't like repros. Do I think they hurt the hobby? Maybe not the hobby itself but it does hurt newcomers to the hobby IMO. But I also think they teach lessons. I know, I learned once lol

GuntherHess

Reaction score

Repros are fine as long as they are well marked as such. Unfortunatly many arent.

digdug

Reaction score

beendiggin

Reaction score
To me, repros are like avon bottles. If you like them you can have a nice collection others can enjoy ,without spending a fortune, so it's fine. Not all bottle collectors are interested in the oldest, or rarity, or even history, so some may be thrilled with newer glass, plus some repros are actually getting pretty old now. The thing is, there are so many original old bottles to collect, and you can't dig repros. I agree that repros are confusing in many cases, but that's part of the antique/collectible market that we all have to learn about, and teach about.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
I don't think that most repros harm the hobby. The majority that I have dealt with didn't fool me for a minute, except one. That heavy glass christmas coke they came out with in the late 1980's. When I first started I grabbed one of these thinking it was legit only to find out during my research that it wasn't. I hadn't paid a great deal for it so I wasn't that bothered and the bottle remains in my collection today. Let's face it you don't see these in the wild everyday.

As for the new hutchs, I'll buy a six pack if I find them. I kinda like a well made repro. Take the Pepsi evolution repros from a few years ago. Those aren't bad and I wound up with a set of them full just for kicks.

jagee44

Reaction score
Repros hurt the hobby. Those who get started in it may make a mistake and think they are getting a great deal. It's happened to me before.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
There are re pros every where, not just in the bottle world.
take people for instance, there are many fakes out there.[8D] you just take them or leave them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky