"A lot of bottle collectors have gone underground"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I can see why you wanted to quote that advice. I don't dig, but I don't tell anyone much of anything about my hobby or my collection, either. I've known one or two crooked antique dealers over the years who have gotten mixed up in burglary rings. While my collection is hardly at the national level, I DO have a few pieces that would be worth stealing to an unscrupulous person...

Jim G

ORIGINAL: splante

opps didnt mean to restart this one just wanted to copy the advice
ORIGINAL: digger mcdirt

I have learned two rules in this hobby after 30 years of digging and collecting. "Loose lips sink ships and out of sight out of mind". I have never allowed newspapers etc to do stories of my collection of bottles and Civil War. I have turned down many offers for interviews etc. Why? It advertises your collection whats in your house to everyone good and yes bad and it opens eyes and makes awareness to who you are and what your doing. I had the best dump site in the world closed because a new digger had to pose with his finds for the paper and even told (stretched) how much stuff was worth. One week later we had 50 new diggers one week later the owner posted the land and fenced it. Today it is still off limits the Police watch it like Hawks.All thanks to a nice little newspaper story on what he did and what he had found. Loose lips sink ships !

bostaurus

Reaction score
I seem to remember a story from a few years ago, that I think, dealt with a stoneware collection. The man and his wife left home for a collectors convention, when they returned home much of his collections was gone. They seem to think it was another collector as only the best pieces were taken. So very sad.
One of the joys of collecting is sharing it with others. You hate to wonder if the person you are showing around your collection is making note of values, entry points, etc. It is a rather small collectors world too...when you steal something rare you have to lock it away and show no one. If you try to sell it you get caught or have to sell it at a very reduces price to someone that does not know any better.

VTdigger

Reaction score
Interesting, where can one find the laws for each state?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

"People need to be sensitive," he said. "Once you move a bottle, once you move an arrowhead, the historical significance is reduced."

The historical significance is greater when it's not known about? Duh, aaah, what?

People need to be sensitive," he said. "Once you move a bottle, once you move an arrowhead, the historical significance is reduced."

I should have left that puce eagle there in the pit,I should have never touched it,man do I feel bad now,the history is gone. Hahaha are these people insane or what.[8D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac