ex rare amber Mathews/Hutchinson

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
I need help this one is Embossed with the Albertson Mathews patent on the bottom with a traditional Hutchinson style blob top. It's unclear what type of closure this bottle was intended for. I have never even heard of another Mathews in amber. I am going through the process of trying to figure this odd ball out. My guess on the blob and the bottom patent is that they used an old mold to make a newer Hutchinson style bottle. I would appreciate any information any one can give about this bottle and any information about any other colored Mathews bottles.

0FD5B0360FB646C4A20F4FD9E5188AFE.jpg

Attachments

• 0FD5B0360FB646C4A20F4FD9E5188AFE.jpg
    0FD5B0360FB646C4A20F4FD9E5188AFE.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 53

cobaltbot

Reaction score
You're website is awesome, haven't made time to cruise through all of it.....yet.
tradition Hutchinson style blob top
I don't get and it won't be the last time...
educate me
Thats a sweet looking bottle

idigjars

Reaction score
Hello Mr Bottles, you have a nice website, thanks for sharing that link. Paul

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys on the site. It is a work in progress and always will be and positive feedback is a good motivator. I run a web development company so I have access to some pretty incredible resources and have very talented people at my disposal. I am adding a couple of new features before Christmas as a treat for collectors.
What I mean by the traditional Hutchinson blob is that the bottle does not have the top of every other Mathews stopper bottle. Even the Albertson patent has pictures of the short squat blobs that are the only top I ever saw on a Mathews other than this bottle. Like this; http://www.mrbottles.com/galleryimage.asp?ID=1492 The color is a pretty huge deal too in that I have seen hundreds if not thousands of Mathews bottles and have never even heard of an amber one or really any other colored examples. I have heard rumors of a few cobalt examples but can find nothing on them anywhere on the web. This bottle is a dramatic/beautiful example of a colored Hutchinson with this EXACT same blob. http://www.mrbottles.com/galleryimage.asp?ID=3193 You can see the shoulders are a lot more pronounced on the Hutch but looking at the two together up close I can tell you the blob tops are exactly the same. With this one I am hoping someone might have a similar bottle with a glass makers mark on it and I would just like to hear other people’s opinions AND I would absolutely love to see other colored Mathews patent stopper bottles. http://www.mrbottles.com/galleryimage.asp?ID=3193

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were saying it had a traditional hutch style blob and that didn't make sense. I would love to find one of the Albertson Mathews patent bottles with the stopper. Your amber top looks like an older squat style top to me. Maybe an employee was playing around and put an older style top on the newer base using amber glass.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Steve, How are things up in the frozen north? Where you keep finding all the weird bottles? Can you post a picture of the inside of the lip?

Never mind I have already found it. It is a reworked bottle that would have stopped just short of the blob and would have used a plunger. Patent 44684 Oct 11, 1864. The mould was reworked to become the Mathews gravitating stopper. Your bottle is one of these inbetween bastardizations. It took a stopper just like a graviting stopper except instead of having the rubber bulb that fits over the bulbous end at the bottom of the stopper, like the ones Bob sent me, it used a gasket that fit in a grove on the bottom of the stopper. The stoppers are clear glass and have PATENT / AUG. 26, 1862 / OCT. 11 1864 / APRIL 15, 1873 on them. They will also accept the rubber bulb like the gravitating stopper so your chances of finding one is good.

It all boils down to this, it is a go between the plunger bottle and the gravitating stopper bottle and YOU HAVE A VERY FRICKIN RARE BOTTLE.

I have included a picture of the plunger on the left and the go between on the right.

17E674BDC2F6492B9B3A1175B4C42B01.jpg

Do I get a cookie or what......[;)]

Attachments

• 17E674BDC2F6492B9B3A1175B4C42B01.jpg
    17E674BDC2F6492B9B3A1175B4C42B01.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 57

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Warren,
Isn’t this cool? Zwietusch was into unusual bottles. He realized that what everybody now knows different packaging can get your product recognized. That spring stopper bottle is his too. I will post the picture later tonight if I can get a decent one in the dark after I get home. It does have some light scuffing in the inside mouth like a Hutch stopper would make and none of the rush around the bail that a Putnam stopper tends to leave.
If anybody can you should be able to tell me of other colored examples from anywhere. I would really like to see them or at least know about them.
Life in Wisconsin is cold right now. It really feels like winter today. I’ll fill you in more later.
Steven

mrbottles

Reaction score
HA! No I don’t think that is it Warren. Look at the blob on the patent. This one has the early style Hutchinson blob or even a pre Hutchinson blob. While the normal Mathews glass stopper seems unlikely because you would not be able to reach the stopper that is even more unlikely because you wouldn’t be able to reach the stopper. You would need a tool to push the stopper down. What else you got for me?
Hey what about other colored examples? Are there any known?
Steven

capsoda

Reaction score
You didn't think I was right about the spring loaded stopper but i can assure you that yours is the inbetween bottle and there arent many around.

That is the only picture I could find of the stopper. If you will notice the patent dates on the stopper you will see that the stopper could be used in the earlyer bottle (1864) or the gravitating stopper bottle (1875). It is right here in Soda and Beer Bottle Closures 1850 to 1910.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac